Half Marathon race report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Half Marathon race report

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

It’s the middle of winter here, so I thought I’d share a race report from Saturday. I ran the Winter Carnival Half marathon in St. Paul. Last year they shortened it to a Quarter marathon because it was 10 below. This year it was 50 above. Still can’t believe I was able to run in shorts and a t-shirt.

I had a goal of sub-1:25. I based that on my time from this race in 2002, when I ran 1:24:55. That year I was training for Boston so I was further along in my training with more long runs and more tempo runs. This year I’ve had similar monthly mileage to 2002 over the last 3 months, however my long weeks have been about 10 mpw more and my cut back weeks have been about 20 mpw less.

I usually just run my own race and that usually means I end up alone. Since I knew it’d be breezy on the way out (it’s an out and back course) I ran a little harder in order to stay with a pack of 6. After 4 miles the pack was down to 4 but that group stayed together till 9. We hit the turn around in 42:05. The first half mile on the way back was windy, but then we had a nice gradual downhill with a tailwind until about mile 9.5. I thought we were flying during this stretch, but we still had a few people catch and pass us. I was still feeling good till 11, but then I just wanted to be done. I hung to finish in 1:24:27 or 6:27 pace. The mile markers were all off, so I won’t even bother with my splits. I’m pleased with that time, however the second half of a race I usually try to pick people off. Yesterday I was just trying to hang on.

Overall, it was a good day. I reached my goal and I know there’s still a lot of room for improvement.

r-at-work

above 50 degrees in February… YIKES… it’s enough to wonder if the hot weather affected your results… not really, still came in with a great time, but there is something to be said for ‘adaptation’ to conditions and it has to be disconcerting if nothing else to go from below freezing to “shorts and a t-shirt” weather… add to that wind, hills and inconsistent mile markers and it puts me even more in awe of you pacing ability… I can’t address the pace, you’re in a different league than me…

I just wish I could “hang on” so effeciently… almost a perfect split… that’s what I hope to do in March…

-Rita

cameron

great job zeke!

stealthycat

Congrats on a great, speedy race, Zeke. :mrgreen:

Ed 1

I am glad to see that you have improved – it gives me more hope that following your advice will indeed work out fine. Because of my lack of experience I have doubts from time to time. BUT the proof is in the pudding – you continue to improve. Eyes on the Prize 😀

Anne

I bet you won’t see another Feb. race with weather like that . Congratulations on a very fast race, I’m still getting used to the speedy times people post here.

You didn’t mention if puddle jumping was part of this race, with all the snow that melted it seems like there would have been some water obstacles on the course.

Zeke
    Anne wrote:
    You didn’t mention if puddle jumping was part of this race, with all the snow that melted it seems like there would have been some water obstacles on the course.

That was actually the 3rd and final day of 50 degree temps. So the snow was gone and the roads were dry, for the most part. Besides the course is run on a 4 lane boulevard that’s blocked off to traffic. So there would have been plenty of room to dodge puddles.

MothAudio

Congrats on a nice race. I can only dream about times like that! I feel you on the 50 degrees. I ran the “Winter Run 15 miler” on Sunday and wore shorts also. Usually you’re wearing just about everything you own for that one.

“Overall, it was a good day. I reached my goal and I know there’s still a lot of room for improvement.”

I like the “there’s still a lot of room for improvement” part. 😀

MikE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.