Half marathon training- how do I tackle this?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Half marathon training- how do I tackle this?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CDN RNR 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

CDN RNR

Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help with my current situation.

Because of my occupation I am not able to follow standard programs day by day. Right now I am training for a half marathon on Apr 30.

I am building my base right now which includes a long run of 13 miles and 1 short tempo run of 3 miles. The rest is easy running totalling 43 mpw(my highest ever). I will be able to maintain this for about 8 weeks and then my job starts to get very busy.

For the next 7 weeks after that(early Jan-end Feb) I will be averaging 15 hr days 6 days a week and figure I will be able to cover 20-25 mpw during that time. I also have a family to look after so it will be extremly difficult.

My first question is how should I train during these 7 weeks?

March and April will alow me to return to normal training again, but what should my key runs be? (i.e. speedwork, tempos, long run distance?). Should I go back to base training for another month? I’ve never trained specifically for a half marathon before.

I should mention that I have run one half marathon 5 years ago in 1:43, but have improved my speed since then. My goal is a sub 1:30 half, a realistic goal as I’m basing it off a 39:37 10k last year. Thanks for reading and hope you can help.

GTF

It would depend, at least in part, on one’s training background. Based just on what has been posted so far, finding a race with a later date might be more ideal.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have to agree with GTF. If you can’t get in the training, there’s not much you can do but wait until you can get in the training.

CDN RNR

I wish I could plan one at a later date, but my schedule picks up again on May2 and carries on to mid Jul. My schedule basically continues like this all year. Until I move positions with my present job, I pretty much have to work with what I have.

Besides suggesting a run on a later date, what would you guys reccomend with the current schedule I have right now? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The only other thing I can suggest is setting your goals appropriately. If you can’t get in the training, you can’t expect the results.

Ed 1

I do not know what others think about this but at least keep the base mileage up there. I would worry less about the extras and keep a slightly faster pace for just plain mileage.

Anonymous

I think this strategy works with varying degrees of success depending on the individual and the event your training for.

A friend of mine whom I have a great deal of respect, explained to me how he’ll turn on the intinsity for 3 minute bursts, 3 or 4 times during the course of a 20 minute run. This can maximize your workout when your time constrained. I wouldn’t do it everyday but I would think about upping the quantity of higher intensity workouts.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.