Half marathon training

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Half marathon training

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Run 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Run

What are the major differences between full and half marathon training? I want to train specifically for a half in October, and keep my mileage high enough to start training for Boston 06 in November. This year I want to up my mileage for the marathon, I was thinking about jumping up to Pfitzs 18/70. Any advice on a plan for the half that keeps the mileage high enough to be ready to start that Pfitz schedule.

I was thinking about getting Road racing for serious Runners, but i kind of dont want to spend the money, is it worth it? Could I just modify one of his marathon plans for the half? If so, what modifications should I make?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Tim

Ryan
    Keymaster

The way most people train for marathons, I don’t think there’s any need for difference. If you do marathon pace runs, replace them with some faster workouts and you’re good to go.

Run, this if more related to Boston next year but here’s my experience. I spent 3 weeks in the mid 70’s last september before jumping to the pfitz 18/70 for boston training. The work in September gave me the confidence that I could handle the added volume. I wasn’t able to run many doubles but pfitz recommends them. You may want to experiment with that a bit. Going into it, pfitz recommends being able to handle 17 or 18 for a long run and high 50’s for the week without much difficulty. I’m going on recall here so definitely have look at the book.

I also targeted the LBI 18 mile run last year in Mid October. This is one of my favorite races of the year and may be a good primer for you.

Run

Steve, this is definitely more related to Boston, because out of these 2 races, Boston is the one that is more important to me. The half Im running in Oct is a race Im running with my Dad. Hes running the full and he wanted someone to go with him to SD because my mom took a pass. I looked at the race, which is supposed to be slighly dowhn hill the whole way, and thought maybe I could mount an attempt for NY qualifying run (1:21 for the half)

After reading Ryans post I was thinking I would do Pfitzs 12/55 to train for the half, and replace some of the MP workouts with faster stuff. This would allow for another 3 months of about 45 MPW average leading up to the half (during the 12/55), followed by by about 2 months after the half to recover (maybe a couple of days for recovering) and get comfortable with the first week of the 18/70 plan. Last year in prep for the 24/55, coming off an injury, I slowly worked up until I was able to do the first week of the plan, which I then did for 2 or 3 weeks in a row, followed by a recovery week before starting marathon training in earnest.

Any other thoughts that occur to anyone, Id love to hear em’

Thanks

Tim

Husker

I don’t think you can go wrong following Pfitz. I’ve got his Road Racing for Serious Runners book and for the 15K-half mary unit he really stresses the importance of lactate threshold training for the half mary. In the 50-70 miles/week schedules he suggests peaking at 17 miles for the long run. He’s also got a second medium long run each week which ranges from 9 to 12 miles. The schedule alternates each week between a tempo run and a VO2max workout. This is where I’d probably differ. I’d do both on some weeks, and I’d probably tip the scales towards tempo runs over VO2max overall. Then again he’s a two time Olympian with a PhD in Exercise Physiology, so take my advice for what it is.

GTF
    Ryan wrote:
    The way most people train for marathons, I don’t think there’s any need for difference. If you do marathon pace runs, replace them with some faster workouts and you’re good to go.

FYI, I would concur. Pace workouts would certainly differ, but otherwise it is pretty much the same from 800m through the marathon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.