"Have you run a marathon?"

Welcome! Forums Running Forum "Have you run a marathon?"

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good article by Pete Magill

As a runner who has run marathons but finds he gets much more enjoyment and sense of accomplishment out of racing shorter distances, I thought this was a very good article. The other distances are great distances with great challenges. Why not give them the credit they deserve?

r-at-work

The prize money for the races left no doubt as to which distance was favored: The 5K championship offered $9,000 in total prize money; the marathon had a purse of $55,000.

actually if you calculate the $/K it works out that the 5K gets $1800 per kilometer where the marathon only gets $304.55 per kilometer… so mayber the 5K is getting more (per kilometer)respect as well as more prize money 😉

for me, I find that most of the local 5K,10K, 10 mile and half marathons are charging almost as much to enter as some of the smaller marathons I travel to, so why run smaller races when they are going to gouge me? I'd rather travel and run a marathon. On the other hand I'll run our local 5 mile turkey trot that benefits the food bank (all the proceeds go to the food bank, and they give me the option of NOT getting the shirt)…

Andrew A.

Magill nails it again, though I must admit that the marathon does intrigue me.  However, not really any more than the 100K does. 8)

for me, I find that most of the local 5K,10K, 10 mile and half marathons are charging almost as much to enter as some of the smaller marathons I travel to, so why run smaller races when they are going to gouge me? I'd rather travel and run a marathon. On the other hand I'll run our local 5 mile turkey trot that benefits the food bank (all the proceeds go to the food bank, and they give me the option of NOT getting the shirt)…

Must be that East Coast inflation.  😉  Here in the Mountain West, I can find plenty of inexpensive and competitive races from 1 mile through half-marathon.  Would like to see some more 15 mile, 25K, 30K, etc. races, of course.  :-

Ryan
    Keymaster

Rita, I know you're not trying to take it down that angle but, if one were to take it down that angle, one would have to account for the added intensity of the 5K. Personally, I always say every race distance is just as hard if you're running it to your full potential.

Andrew, the marathon is definitely an interesting event and I would strongly encourage people who are ready for it to give it a shot. That said, over the years, I've seen quite a few people who have run more marathons than races of any other distance and they have no appreciation for those other distances. Maybe if they ran them a few times, they could learn how great those distances are and they would show a little more respect for the distances and those who compete in them.

As for entry fees, most of them around here are still in the $20 range and you can still find bargains in the $10 range if you know where to look. Even the cheapest marathons I've seen are still running 3-4 times the normal for this area. Given that, in my opinion, it's the marathons that are gouging. Then again, maybe it's that East Coast inflation and East Coasters spreading their inflation through the marathon distance by traveling around the country to run what they consider to be inexpensive marathons. 😉

DoppleBock

Good article by Pete Magill

As a runner who has run marathons but finds he gets much more enjoyment and sense of accomplishment out of racing shorter distances, I thought this was a very good article. The other distances are great distances with great challenges. Why not give them the credit they deserve?

I completely agree – Open you mind, spirit and body to 50k, 50 milers, 100 milers, 24 hour or 48 hour races – There is a whole other world out there that most people are missing!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I completely agree – Open you mind, spirit and body to 50k, 50 milers, 100 milers, 24 hour or 48 hour races – There is a whole other world out there that most people are missing!

Good point. It's not just the shorter distances that get overlooked. The marathon distance seems to suck the oxygen out of the room in regards to both shorter and longer events.

r-at-work

Good point. It's not just the shorter distances that get overlooked. The marathon distance seems to suck the oxygen out of the room in regards to both shorter and longer events.

it's that pesky history thing… and they guy dropping dead… everyone wants to 'survive' fewer want to work hard enough to RACE

Andrew A.

Yep! http://www.hillrunner.com/forums/index.php/topic,7722.0.html
    Ironically, the article that is the basis for the above thread was not received well among visitors to the Running Times message board!

runner88

Rita, I know you're not trying to take it down that angle but, if one were to take it down that angle, one would have to account for the added intensity of the 5K. Personally, I always say every race distance is just as hard if you're running it to your full potential.

Well said! I get quite annoyed with people when they ask you about your running and then mediately loose interest when you tell them you are a 10k runner!

I am not taking anything away form the marathon as it is a massive challenge for anyone, but I prefer shorter more intense distances!

…………………..
    Goals:
    Sub 39min 10k
    Sub 50min 2.5km swim
    Running Blog – [URL=http://”http://www.runtheline.com/32/garmin-forerunner-405-gps-running-watch-review”]Garmin 405 Review[/URL]

Andrew A.

Seems like it would work fine for me, I would likely prefer to not engage in that type of a conversation about running with someone who has so pathetically little perspective on and appreciation for the sport.  8)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.