headphones not recommend

Welcome! Forums Running Forum headphones not recommend

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sueruns 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

sueruns

when did races start with “headphones allowed but not recommended”?  I was always told they don't allow, but usually don't make a big deal, unless the person wearing is winning something?  I was just at a race where a 1:16 guy was wearing them, I was surprised, but it was low key race.  Now I just checked the website after a midpacker told me that “sure, you can wear them in that marathon”……and sure enough they do.  I guess I wrongly assumed that they were illegal under USATF.  I thought if the race was offering money and USATF certified, you better not!  Is the marathon making a big mistake if it's USATF certified course?

Ryan
    Keymaster

USATF certification only involves course measurement. The headphone issue is more of a safety/insurance issue. Most insurers require races to ban headphones because of the increased risk to the safety of those wearing headphones as well as anyone around them. Personally, after watching a person wearing headphones cause an incident in a pack that resulted in another individual suffering a broken bone and after watching other headphone related incidents and hearing about many more, I wish race directors took the bans more seriously.

To directly answer your question, the marathon isn't making any mistake in regards to its certification but it could be making a big mistake if its insurer requires the ban.

GTF

It is nothing more than yet another example of event organizers pandering to the vocal minority of people who do not really like running but enter races anyway.  It is a liability issue, though if there is an allowance for them then the insurer must be okay with it (event organizers and sponsors are likely freed of liability via the waiver that is signed on the entry form.) 

r-at-work

people who do not really like running but enter races anyway. 

that is so true… sad, but true… why would you do something you don't enjoy? I'm so confused,I try and do things (like running) that make me happy, life's too short to be miserable…

on the original line (headphones)… I've seen a crash with a wheelchair participant trying to get a headphone wearer to move over, had headphone wearers YELL at me to give them more warning when I pass them, how? I was already talking rather loudly as I came up on you to pass… and once got hit as a headphone wearer I was passing reacted instinctively and flung her arm out, she appologized and said that people 'sneaking up on her' scared her… huh? on a public bike path?? when I suggested taking off the headphones so she was more aware of her surroundings she was really offended…

are these people born this stupid or do they work at it…

Ryan
    Keymaster

that is so true… sad, but true… why would you do something you don't enjoy? I'm so confused,I try and do things (like running) that make me happy, life's too short to be miserable…

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is making a living off of running (although I'd love to) so it's recreation for all of us. I hope we all enjoy it. I would love to see more people wake up to this concept. If you don't like running, why are you doing it? Find something you do like to do. There are plenty of alternatives out there.

on the original line (headphones)… I've seen a crash with a wheelchair participant trying to get a headphone wearer to move over, had headphone wearers YELL at me to give them more warning when I pass them, how? I was already talking rather loudly as I came up on you to pass… and once got hit as a headphone wearer I was passing reacted instinctively and flung her arm out, she appologized and said that people 'sneaking up on her' scared her… huh? on a public bike path?? when I suggested taking off the headphones so she was more aware of her surroundings she was really offended…

I didn't even get into the non-race incidents I've had with headphone wearers. I've been pepper sprayed once, run into several times, and screamed at (for not warning the person I was approaching after calling out at least 2-3 times) countless times by individuals wearing headphones who were not aware of their surroundings. Hey, if you're so afraid of your surroundings that you will carry and use pepper spray, you should not be obstructing your hearing. If you want people to warn you when they are passing, you should make sure you can hear them when they do warn you.

Of course, except for the pepper spray and incidents that involve physical contact, I still think using headphones in a race is an even bigger offense because you know there will be dozens of people around you and it should be obvious that one of your most important senses will be obstructed.

Mark

Most of my running is on a bike path.

I have a enough trouble hearing bikes coming up from behind (with 180 pound men riding at over 20 mph ??? >:() and suddenly passing you without a warning, than to plug up my ears so that I can’t hear anything.

I have been told that it helps some people to run better or to focus there attention on something other than the pain their body is feeling, but the safety concerns to me far outweigh any benefit.

Mark

Anne

There's a time and place for headphones, a race isn't one of them. If you need to wear them do it on your training runs but not among hundreds or thousands of other runners.

One of my favorite headphone wearing moves observed in races is the drop & fetch. The runner accidently drops the Ipod or MP-3 then turns against a sea of runners to retrieve it from the ground. This causes some quick thinking by the runners directly behind him or her. Those who are quick on their feet can leapfrog over the runner, for those not so quick, it means a collision.
    Sadly, by the time the runner retrieves the device it has been crushed into a little pile of plastic by runners who just couldn't avoid it.

It's not funny but the dark side of me does take some amusement in seeing the dangling headphones with no tuneage.   

sueruns

I'll admit that I've been wearing headphones for my long runs, I wish I never had.   The problem is that at first it was just real low and I was amazed that it was almost as if I could hear things around me better.   But then I found I probably was increasing the volume with my increase of useage and you can't even determine if the weird sound you heard was your music or something else.  

I've seen bad combinations of baby strollers and headphones, and it's usually the stroller pusher that screamed “Jogger coming” that is going to get their butt chewed out, because the headphone person turned around to the voice and stepped right into the path of some guy running sub7 minute pace with a jogger.  

r-at-work

I have been told that it helps some people to run better or to focus there attention on something other than the pain their body is feeling, Mark

AAAGGGHHH… if they are feeling pain WTF are they running for? stop & fix the problem… if by pain, they mean the ache of USING muscles that really want to be sitting on the couch, get over it… wouldn't it be better to pay attention to that ache so if it got worse you'd know to stop?

I wonder if those are the same people who need a bottle of gatorade for half an hour workout…
    -Rita

Ryan
    Keymaster

AAAGGGHHH… if they are feeling pain WTF are they running for? stop & fix the problem… if by pain, they mean the ache of USING muscles that really want to be sitting on the couch, get over it… wouldn't it be better to pay attention to that ache so if it got worse you'd know to stop?

I'm glad you said it. I could have typed that almost word for word. In fact, I have in the past and I bet you could guess what kind of response I got from some.

blackdog

I have to agree with this too.
    If you want to run and wear headphones do it on a treadmill. They obviously don”t want to be aware of the surroundings so they might as well stay inside.

I know that may piss some people off. But it is truly a safety issue. As a women who runs at dawn sometimes. ( Not by choice, but darn I gotta work too!)
    I sure want to be aware of my surroundings.

Karen

sueruns

even as a guilty party of using headphones, the idea of running faster or getting throught tough workouts alludes my understanding.  I believe I was most intune to my workouts–even on a treadmill when I ran without music or tv.  Running 20 miles on a treadmill was the best mental preparing I could ever do.  I need to get back to this, I think my breakdown was moving to a house with no windows to look out on my treadmill.  I started with music and it escalated to watching tv and then both, pretty soon I carried the music outside.  If anyone sees a woman running down the street carrying a tv set….please take it away!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.