Help

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Help

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Auf 10 years ago.

• Author

Auf

My Achiles Tendon a Bit Pain Why ???

Im Not Doing To Much Longrun on the road.
    Juz Doing Longrun On The Track.
    When Im Running On The Track Or On The Road I can Feel The Pain…

How Can I make it recover?

Sorry…my english was very bad…

ed
    Participant

If you are able to – speak with a doctor.
    If not – then I would rest it.  If it felt tight (hard) I would massage it and gently stretch it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It could be the track itself. All the turning on the track can place stresses on your body. First, rest and treat the injury so it doesn't become more severe. Second, if you don't have access to roads, trails, or other places that don't always have you turning the same direction, reverse directions on the track. For example, if you're running for 2 hours, maybe you would go 30 minutes in a counterclockwise direction, then 30 minutes in a clockwise direction and continue to alternate until finished.

ed
    Participant

From what I recall turning in the same direction did not bother my achiles much but sure did bother my hips.  BUT every runner is different.  I changed from loops to out and back routes to work both sides more evenly.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It seems to hit different people in different places. For me, during indoor track seasons in college, it would always be my inside ankle. Other people have knee trouble, others have IT band trouble, and some have achilles or calf problems.

Obviously, I can't say with 100% certainty that this is the cause of the problem but it's a pretty easy and low risk thing to try.

ed
    Participant

Ryan – I fully agree with you – which is why I stated every runner was different.

Auf –  Do both achiles hurt or just one?
    If you can only run on the track do what Ryan suggested and alternate directions.

Double

Try this:  When you lace your running shoes, do not lace them through the final pair of holes.

Manwich56

If you can run on it without it getting worse during the run then try icing it before your run and after each run.  I know it may seem like a chore but its only temporary until it starts to feel better. If it doesn't feel better doing that then consider taking some days off. 

If it gets worse while running then you need to take time off it to establish some base healing.  Ice is your best friend for tendon issues.  It has done wonders for my tendon issues with my feet in the past.  So ice it at least twice a day (Ice more if it hurts while stationary). You can also cross train if it doesn't hurt the injury. 

If all of this fails then take time off running and you can go get physical therapy where they can ultra sound, ice, heat, and electricly stimulate your injury to further promote healing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try this:  When you lace your running shoes, do not lace them through the final pair of holes.

Good call, especially if it tends to be a problem more toward the ankle/heel region. Some people will also cut off or cut a slit in the top of the back of their shoes so it isn't pressing as hard into the tendon right above the heel.

ed
    Participant

A small slit or cutting a semi-circle cut into the top of the heel area of the shoe could produce good results especially if the shoes are stiffer or if blistering has occured in the area (signifying the pressure issue).

Auf

Thanks For all The advice 😀

SBSpartan

Plantar Faciaitis (sp?) can cause this pain as well.  Try rolling a tennis ball on the bottom of your foot for ten or so minutes at a time, a few times a day.  Before and after you run as well.

Also, massage 3/4 of the way up your calf with the ball.

Chances are your achilles hurts because something else is pulling on it and making it sore.

ed
    Participant

Good point SBSpartan – quite often pain is related to injury elsewhere causing the body to compensate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.