Hey, wasn’t Zeke supposed to run Boston?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Hey, wasn’t Zeke supposed to run Boston?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Peter

Don’t know his real name, so I can’t check results…

Any info on how he did if he ran it would be appreciated!

Saw Stefanovic ran 2:51 for 140th OA and 3rd WI finisher…

Anonymous

Zeke, ran, I’m sure he will give a report in a day or two. It was a brutual day weather wise.

Ryan
    Keymaster

He did run, I won’t give the details as I’ll let him decide how much he wants to tell. What I will say is it looks like he did adjust for the conditions early but still struggled a bit late. I’ve been hearing much worse stories from others than what his splits suggest, though.

Zeke

Hmm, well I don’t know where to start. I went into Boston thinking I was in about 3:02 shape, given that I’d just run a sub-1:26 half 2 weeks ago. However, I didn’t want to trash myself on the course and end up needing 2 months to recover. So, I was planning on running 3:10-3:15. Then I saw the forecast, 85 and sunny. So I threw that goal out the window, but still thought 3:30 was possible.

I ran the first 4 miles (which are downhill) in 7:30-7:35 pace, then things leveled out and I started running 7:50s. I told myself as long as I stayed under 8’s I’d be okay. That lasted till mile 8. That’s when I started the countdown – “only 18 more miles to go”. I’d tell myself stuff like make it to 10, make it to Wessley, make it to 16, etc. I think 8 miles is also the point where I stopped looking at my splits because the news was not good. At 15 I took my shirt and hat off in an effort to cool off. I’m not sure when I started walking the water stops. My mind was still aware of what was going on, I just didn’t have any energy.

I haven’t really looked at my splits. I’m guessing they look like 1:45/2:05. Not only was that the worst race of my life, it was probably the worst run of my life.

Obviously the heat was a huge factor. Training in 65 temps a few days in the spring doesn’t prepare one for 85. But it looks like a couple of people I know slowed 10-15 minutes, not 30 like me. I have some other thoughts on why I ran so poorly, but they sound like excuses, so I’ll keep them to myself.

Overall, I had a great time in Boston. I thought the crowd support was incredible. In 2002 it was great, but I was a little disappointed by Wessley. This year it was amazing. Maybe because the warm weather made more spectators come out and watch.

Anyway, I ran like shit. I’m still confident in my fitness. It’s time to wipe the slate clean and look forward to a summer of fast short races.

randys

Zeke,

Another very tough Boston race report! Great job under such rough conditions.

I have read many reports just like it; seems like most runners had a rough day on Monday. In fact you sound like you did better than many.

Last night I was at my local running club meeting and 2 of the members had just run Boston. In addition to running their worst races ever (in 1 case over 75 minutes slower than their qualifing time) they both suffered severe sun burns. They looked like lobsters!

On the other hand both have recovered quickly, probably because they raced so slowly, and are thinking of running the Long Island marathon on May 2nd.

Randy

Zeke

Last night I was at my local running club meeting and 2 of the members had just run Boston. In addition to running their worst races ever (in 1 case over 75 minutes slower than their qualifing time) they both suffered severe sun burns. They looked like lobsters!

Well, that makes me feel better about running “only” 52 minutes slower than my qualifying time.

As for the sunburn, luckily they gave us sunblock in our race packet, otherwise I would have been in the same boat.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.