How does one perform a HR?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum How does one perform a HR?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

How exactly does one perform hill repeats – I have a fantasticall steep hill that is about a hlaf mile long near my house on a route that I run regularily. How can I use that hill?

runnerdude

well, you start by running 1-2 miles to warm up. Then, run up the hill, making sure that you keep your back straight (don’t lean into the hill) and point your knees skyward with each step. When you get to the top, jog down slowly to recover, then start over. Perform this several times and wrap up with a 1-2 mile recovery jog.

Ed 1

Is there anything with faster speed up the hill or just the good posture and high knee lift? Also, how many are needed for any type of performance enhancement? Is a half mile steep hill too much or would it be a great advantage?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just like an interval workout on the track. I like doing half mile repeats, although I’ll sometimes do quarter mile repeats. For me, I guess I like simplicity. I just warm up to the base of the hill, run hard up the hill, jog easily down, then repeat until I have done as many as I wish to do. Cool down afterward and one tough workout is in the books.

Bart

I’m glad to see this topic here because I was about to post a similar question, which is basically how hard should I be running hill repeats.

Ryan wrote:
    I just warm up to the base of the hill, run hard up the hill, jog easily down.

Do you run the hill repeats as hard (by effort, not time) as you run the repeats on the track?

Bart

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed1 wrote:
    Is there anything with faster speed up the hill or just the good posture and high knee lift? Also, how many are needed for any type of performance enhancement? Is a half mile steep hill too much or would it be a great advantage?

Different people do them differently. Personally, I think of hill repeats as a track workout taken to the hill so I do them at a higher effort level. Whether or not that means a faster speed depends on many factors, mainly my fitness level and the grade of the hill.

The number of repeats depends on your fitness. I typically suggest doing them until you feel like you can only do one or two more. I typically do not follow my suggestion and do them until I feel like I can only do two more, then I do one last one all-out, which leaves me feeling like I don’t know how I even finished the last one.

I think a half mile hill is good. When you say steep, how steep are you talking about? Since you are in the Milwaukee area, do you mind my asking where you are finding this hill? I’m always interested in finding new places for a good workout.

Bart wrote:
    Do you run the hill repeats as hard (by effort, not time) as you run the repeats on the track?

I do them as hard by effort as I would do repeats of the same distance on the track, maybe a bit harder for half mile hills because the recoveries will usually be a bit longer than I would do for 800s on the track.

Ed 1

This hill is in Grafton – it starts down by a bridge crossing the Milwaukee river on Falls Ave (near Lime Kiln Park) and heads due East to 17th Ave – it is steeper than any hill in the LFM. The begining of the hill is very steep but then lowers slightly to just steep. I would have to guess that it is about a 30% grade if not more.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    This hill is in Grafton – it starts down by a bridge crossing the Milwaukee river on Falls Ave (near Lime Kiln Park) and heads due East to 17th Ave – it is steeper than any hill in the LFM. The begining of the hill is very steep but then lowers slightly to just steep. I would have to guess that it is about a 30% grade if not more.

Not to get too nitpicky but I would have to guess you’re overestimating the grade by quite a bit as a 30% grade for a half mile would mean a 758 foot vertical climb, which I don’t think you’re going to find anywhere in this area. Anyway, I suspect it will probably serve well for repeats. Maybe I’ll have to swing by there some time on one of my trips to Sheboygan and give it a try myself.

Ed 1

I am sure that I am over estimating by your description. I was always very poor at geometry and stuff like that. Give me a call if your going to be in the area and I can better direct you to the hill. There is also another hill that is nearly a half mile and pretty steep not too far from that hill. That hill is at Falls ave and runs south down the hill on 17th ave for about a half a mile. I will easure them with my car to give you a better distance – as far as grade – my poor geometry skills can’t help you out much but they are both steeper than anything in the Lakefront Marathon. If you want my telephone number send me a PM or an e-mail.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.