How Much did the Pfzinger Schedule improve your Marathon?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum How Much did the Pfzinger Schedule improve your Marathon?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rehammes 13 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

MothAudio

I’m sure it’s been asked before but how much time did you erase from your marathon after using the Pfzinger/Douglas schedule? I used his half schedule last year and did well. Since, I’ve been lenghtening my mid-week run and will begin his 18wk / 70mpw schedule in June for my BQ. Just ran the FlyingPig and only need to drop 9 minutes to qualify. Going into that race I averaged 29 miles per week for 4 months, with a peak of 41 miles along with four 18 milers and one 20 miler. I’m very confident about qualifying this Fall but now I’m curious about how much I’ll improve on my “Pig” race. I ran 1:39 for a half last year, if I can get down to 1:35 is it unrealistic to believe I could approach 3:20? Thanks.

Zeke
    MothAudio wrote:
    Going into that race I averaged 29 miles per week for 4 months, with a peak of 41 miles along with four 18 milers and one 20 miler.

I still find your 3:45 on that mileage pretty amazing. I think you have a tremendous “up-side.”

I’m very confident about qualifying this Fall but now I’m curious about how much I’ll improve on my “Pig” race. I ran 1:39 for a half last year, if I can get down to 1:35 is it unrealistic to believe I could approach 3:20? Thanks.

I don’t it’s unrealistic for a 1:35 half marathoner to shoot for 3:20. I think doubling your half time and adding 10 minutes is a good rule of thumb.

I’m sure it’s been asked before but how much time did you erase from your marathon after using the Pfzinger/Douglas schedule?

For my first 3 marathons I didn’t follow any plan. I was probably in the 40 mpw range and ran between 3:17 and 3:26. I took about 2 years off for grad school then got serious again. I followed one of Daniels’ programs and dropped my PR over 14 minutes.

I’ve been lenghtening my mid-week run and will begin his 18wk / 70mpw schedule in June for my BQ.

Based on your last training cycle, I think if you plan on jumping up to Pfitz’s 70 mpw program, you may be in trouble. That’s a huge jump. Why don’t you try his 55-mpw plan first?

Anonymous

Here’s how following the plan and increasing mileage helped me out

40 miles/wk = 3:09

40 miles/wk = 3:00 flat twice

Phitz and 55max/wk = 2:57

Phitz and 60max/wk = 2:49, 2:47

Phitz and 70max/wk =2:45

Phitz and 80max =??? We’ll see

MothAudio

Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as the jump in miles. I’ll just see what I can get up to before the start of the schedule and then see how I handle i form there. If I can’t cope I’ll just reduce the mileage here and there. I’ve run that kind of miles before and I feel like I’m rounding into that condition again. I’ve been pretty conservative up to this point and it’s been good to me so I don’t see that trend changing.

rehammes

I suppose I’m in the same situation as you. I ran Boston on a Higdon program which maxed at under 50 mpw. I’m trying Phitz’s 70+ w/ a max of 95 for Lakefront in October. After 2 weeks of the increased mileage I feel terrific, eventhough the first week was 15 miles more than my previous high week. I expect to cut 5-10 minutes off my pr of 2:54. I think your goal sounds within your grasp. At first if the increase seems like too much, maybe lighten the intensity until they come easier. I’ve heard many people say that the 10% rule should not be applied to all people. Just listen to your body, it knows best! Good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.