I need help…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum I need help…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Slump 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Slump

I have a problem which prevents me from running. My shin muscles get real swollen and numb when I run. After running a quarter mile or so, I can barely walk. I’m in the military and if I can’t run 1 1/2 miles they’re going to kick me out. 😥

Ed 1

First of all welcome to the Forum. For us to be able to help you we are going to need some background info. We could use hight/weight, age, physical activity levels over the last several years, age – stuff like that.

What branch are you in – are you in delayed entry at this point – what is your status?

Ryan
    Keymaster

As Ed mentioned, background information is crucial. I think most importantly, what you’re trying to do with your running. My gut instinct says you might be trying to run too hard but that can only be verified with information about your current fitness level and how hard you are trying to run.

Slump

Well I’m 28, 5’11” about 245 pounds. I’ve been lifting weights and doing cardio (exercise bike) for most of my adult life. Oh, and I’m in the Air Force.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That’s a lot of weight to carry around running, even for a short distance, if you haven’t been at least walking. I would suggest starting with some walking. Once you can walk for at least 20-30 minutes without a break, you can start throwing in some very short, very easy running segments. For example, walk for 2-5 minutes, then run very easily for 30 seconds, then walk for another 2-5 minutes, then run very easily again for another 30 seconds. As your fitness increases, increase the running segments until you’re running very easily for the whole 20-30 minutes.

Once you can run non-stop for at least 20-30 minutes, you are ready to start thinking about that 1.5 mile timed run. Until then, just focus on getting used to running.

Zeke
    Slump wrote:
    Well I’m 28, 5’11” about 245 pounds. I’ve been lifting weights and doing cardio (exercise bike) for most of my adult life. Oh, and I’m in the Air Force.

Slump,

I think it’s safe to say that you don’t have the “typical” runners body. I’m an inch shorter than you and carry 100 fewer pounds. That extra weight may be part of your problem. Have you tried to lose weight through a combination of diet and exercise? Can you lay off the weights for awhile and focus mainly on cardio exercise? Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. My suggestion would be to start a stringent cardio program. It doesn’t have to be all running. Mix in biking, stairmaster, eliptical, hiking, etc., but try to run/walk 3-4 days a week. Don’t be ashamed if you have to run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute, etc. You WILL improve. Track what you do and try to improve every week or so. Maybe the second week you run 3 minutes, walk 1.

As for your shins, try to do all your running on FLAT, SOFT surfaces. Are there any trails, golf courses, or tracks near by? You can even run in the grass, next to the sidewalk if you have to. Even a treadmill is better than the concrete, pavement, blacktop, etc. Try icing your shins for 20 minutes before and after running to help with the swelling. Ibuprofen can also help with the swelling.

Ed 1

I do not think that Slump will be able to lose much weight. Being in the military there is a height/weight chart to determine if he is considered overweight. Obviously the chart would indicate poor health – then he would be subject to a “tape-test”. That is a tape measure would be used at three points on the body to dertermine if the weight is muscle mass related – ie a large neck.

What is the time requirement that you have the the 1.5 miles for your sex/age group?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.