If you want to run Chicago this year, you better register soon

Welcome! Forums Running Forum If you want to run Chicago this year, you better register soon

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I've received word from an individual who work on registrations at Chicago that they are expecting registration to close around mid-April, even given the increased 45,000 registration limit. If you want in, get in before it's too late.

If you don't want to register 6 months before the race, maybe it's time to look at smaller events that don't fill up so insanely early. As an added bonus, you might be able to save a little money.

Peter

There's always Lakefront. 1/2 the registration fee, a beautiful course, 2500 runners, you can register in August usually, and unless Ryan's running, favorable weather conditions ;D. Have run it twice and it's a great course.

I'm planning on something different this year. I'll be running the Twin Cities Marathon, b/c I can stay with my brother in Saint Paul the night before, and I can write the travel off as a business expense, b/c I'll be doing work the following day in nearby Hudson. That's the plan at least. Registration opens May 8 on line, I believe.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, that's what I was hinting at. Lakefront, Fox Cities, Quad Cities, Twin Cities, Whistlestop, and others I'm sure I'm missing. And those are just for those of us in the upper midwest who don't feel like traveling far. Unless you really want to run with 40,000 other people (and this year, it will be close to 40,000 given the registration limit of 45,000) and feel the need to put down over $100 just as you're starting training for the marathon, there are a lot of other choices. In fact, I've been bouncing around the possibility of considering a few of those choices myself (yes, look out, Lakefront is not off my radar at this point in time).

sueruns

I hate having to think about Fall marathons before doing my spring one!!

Janus

If you go to the Chicago Marathon website, and click on Registration Confirmation, you can put a '%' symbol in the last name box and it'll give you the total number of people registered.

Currently, they are around 25,600

Ryan
    Keymaster

Got another update on this. This time, it's a more official one:

REGISTRATION FOR THE LASALLE BANK CHICAGO MARATHON CLOSE TO REACHING 45,000 PARTICIPANT CAPACITY
    Register Today to Ensure Entry in 30th Anniversary Race

Registration for The 30th Anniversary LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon is very close to reaching its planned 45,000 participant capacity. With the submission of entries continuing daily, there are less than 5,000 open entries available and registration is expected to close before the end of April.

Once open registration is closed, there will only be a few ways to gain entry into the race. Registration will be available through one of our 85 charity partners, affiliated international tour groups or the Chicago Area Runners Association. More information on those options will be made available at the time of close.

Runners interested in participating in the October 7, 26.2-mile race are encouraged to register online on our website or take advantage of the other options as soon as possible.

Peter

35,343 as of 12:20 PM CDT today: So in 24 days, almost 10,000 people have registered.

Translation – if you want in, better register before the end of the month…

Ryan
    Keymaster

And, with this new announcement, the rate will increase. They could get the final <5000 within a week. I wouldn't be surprised if registration closes around mid-week next week.

Peter

Ryan's right – 3,000 registrations came in in less than 24 hours, yikes. Good thing I'm not planning on doing it…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Those last 5000 came quickly. So much for mid-week next week, try mid-week this week. Makes the initial unofficial prediction I was given almost a month ago seem pretty darn accurate:

Registration is closed for The 30th running of The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon on Sunday, October 7, 2007. A limited number of entries are available through the Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA), the 85 charities affiliated with the Marathon and International Tour Groups.

Peter

Actually, they have 39,104 confirmed registered runners as of this morning. Wonder why they stopped 900 short of where they said they would, and almost 6,000 short of their 45,000 'cap'?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm guessing it takes some time to confirm registrations. Check back in the coming days and I bet you'll see those numbers climb.

As for the 45,000 cap, remember that they have to leave room for invited runners plus the charity runners, travel groups, and other “special” entries that aren't subject to this cap.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.