Injury recovery time??

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Injury recovery time??

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      snowski12000
      Participant

Help!!! I'm in need of suggestions for recovery time and rehab for a strained calf. Over the past 4 months I have increased my mpw from (48-58mi) to (62-72mi) with every 4th week as a recovery week. Things were going along fine until 12/7/08 when I strained my rt calf. (This same rt calf strain happened last year at almost the same exact week) I took off  3 days then did 6,10,6,12. There was some soarness but no pain. I took off Sun as usual then ran 6 Mon, 10 Tue, but on Wed after 45min of easy running had to stop and walk home because of pain in the rt calf.
      I do stretching following my runs, push the pace 2-3 days a week and do an easy Sat run 12-18 depending on the week.
      My concern is I'm to start training for Boston at the end of the month and have been building my base for the training. I will be taking off the next 4-5 days to let my calf recover. Any suggestions on recovery time and rehab. would be of great help. Thanks. Ski

ed
      Participant

I would seriously consider a deep tissue sports massage.  You might want to consider (after some rest) starting your runs with some very slow, easy, flat running and then stopping to stretch out some – followed by more very slow easy running – slowly allowing yourself to pick it up to your normal pace.

Ryan
      Keymaster

I would also suggest considering some massage or some work from a therapist or athletic trainer. In 2003, I had ongoing issues until I got with an athletic trainer who finally gave a correct diagnosis (pulled hamstring) and worked with me on massage and stretching without taking time off (her request) and I haven't had a problem since. I'm not going to say you will see the same results, though I will hope for the best for your sake, but I became a big fan of massage and deep stretching after that experience.

runnerinwilmnc
      Participant

I'm sorry about the injury. I don't know if these links will help, but they might. I hope you feel better soon.

https://www.runnersworld.com/

Double
      Participant

Long shot….but leg length discrepancies are fairly common of up to a 1/2″.  For me, I used a shim to raise the heel back up to normal and the calf pain was no longer a problem.  Ran with one for years, but quit a number of years ago.  I still wear one during the day in my work shoes.

r-at-work
      Participant

I'll add my vote for massage… also be sure when you do get a massage that you follow with plenty of water to help flush out whatever gets worked out of the muscles… which reminds me to also put in a plug for hydration during the winter months… it always seems like we get enough fluid during the summer when we sweat, but dry air in winter is an insidious way to dehydrate and cause problems… also for calf issues I think back to my problem and that I was told to be sure to have enough potassium in my diet, so (as I hate bananas) I started eating dried apricots as an evening snack…

good luck as I can say from experience that Boston will find your weakness and exploit it!
      -Rita

SBSpartan
      Participant

If you can find it, get something called, “Super Blue Stuff”.  It's like magic for soreness you are describing.  You can buy it over the counter.

Don't be afraid to ice that bad boy either.  It hurts because something is damaged and icing will promote healing if you do it after your workouts.

Think positively as well.  You will be amazed at what that can do for healing.

snowski12000
      Participant

Thanks for your help, as with most injuries it will take time. I will use the info to resolve the problem asap yet try to be patient. Thanks again. Ski

sueruns
      Participant

I'd look more into it.  as someone that has repeatedly torn calf muscles, it is something that continues if you don't strengthen the muscle around the tear.  The tear itself will become a scar and the muscle around the scarring is put under an extra amount of strain.  Some massage therapists can notice the scar tissue, some not.  Might look into one that has some ART experience…..or a chiroprator that does.

depending on which calf muscle, the time off varies significantly.  The gastroc may be only a few days, the soleus weeks (6 weeks for me for tear that couldn't be seen).  I took only 5 days for a grade 2 hamstring tear.  The size of the muscle is key.  Soleus is small and thus not alot of surrounding muscle to help compensate.  Gastronemius bigger.  If you've been doing an extraodinary large amount of hillwork in prep for Boston……the soleus may be involved.

people forget to stretch the soleus.  when you do the lean against the wall calf stretch it only activates the gastroc.  You need bend both legs slightly to activate the soleus.  Sometimes you can determine if its soleus or gatroc by doing this stretch.  Another way is if you're on a step and you can go tiptoe but not drop heel—its soleus…..opposite for gastroc  (or the reverse…I forget…might want to do a search on that)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.