Injury

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Injury

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  stealthycat 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

stealthycat

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to my leg on Sunday. I was just cruising along have an awesome run, and then BAM, pain started in my left calf muscle. I stopped and tried to stretch it to no avail. So I had to get back to my car anyway, and finished the 12 miles with no problem other than the discomfort in my calf which didn’t seem to be affecting my form. However as soon as I quit running and started walking, pain was awful and lasted through to the evening. I iced it pretty much all day. By evening I wasn’t having much pain with walking and the next day (Monday) I had 0 pain. Still, I did not run on Monday or yesterday. Yesterday it was actually a little tighter than on Monday. 🙄 I iced it yesterday as well. I have a great coach, and he told me to jog between 20:00 and 50:00 easy depending on how it was feeling. It was OK this morning, but still slightly painful, so I just did the minimum of 20:00… I also iced 2X post run this morning and have taken (very little) ibuprofen.

Anyway, I am hoping that this will blow over in a few days and have 0 affect on my fittness level… And – I can honestly say that it is a lot better today than it was on Sunday, so I am feeling like there is some improvement.

Anyone have any other advice that I might be missing? I feel like I’ve been fortunate thus far in having gotten very sound advice, and not feeling like I am pushing it too much… I guess I don’t really have a point to my post, just dealing with this issue and welcome some feedback. Injury is something that almost everyone deals with at some point or another… Thanks.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I guess I can offer a little advice but more empathy as my foot has now regressed far enough that I think I’m subconsciously favoring it and causing other problems, so I’m taking hopefully a little time off to let it get better.

As for advice, I’d say make sure you keep carefully stretching it. You say it felt more stiff Tuesday than Monday. If you didn’t stretch Monday, even without running that day, should this be a surprise? You want to be careful so you don’t overstretch it and cause any damage but make sure you don’t neglect the stretching either. This is a lesson I learned the very hard way two years ago.

stealthycat
    Ryan wrote:
    I guess I can offer a little advice but more empathy as my foot has now regressed far enough that I think I’m subconsciously favoring it and causing other problems, so I’m taking hopefully a little time off to let it get better.

I am in agreement with the “hopefully a little” for sure. Hope it heals quickly for you. Frustrating. 🙄

Ryan wrote:
    As for advice, I’d say make sure you keep carefully stretching it. You say it felt more stiff Tuesday than Monday. If you didn’t stretch Monday, even without running that day, should this be a surprise? You want to be careful so you don’t overstretch it and cause any damage but make sure you don’t neglect the stretching either. This is a lesson I learned the very hard way two years ago.

Thanks for the tip, and no I didn’t stretch it yesterday as I was a little afraid of stretching something that wasn’t hurting. 😕 I have been stretching it gingerly today…. It’s such a tricky thing – stretching. Sometimes I feel like it helps (me) to get my head off of it and do something else that involves my full attention, or I will worry it to death. Is that not what I am doing here? *sigh*

Ed 1

I do not know if this is the right way to do it but I warm the muscle before stretching it. Lately, I’ve been soaking in the hot tub after the mill and stretching long and slow. It has stopped my right calf/thigh from feeling tight /sore.

stealthycat
    Ed 1 wrote:
    I do not know if this is the right way to do it but I warm the muscle before stretching it. Lately, I’ve been soaking in the hot tub after the mill and stretching long and slow. It has stopped my right calf/thigh from feeling tight /sore.

I’m not sure if it is time for heat yet for me, Ed, but I’m glad you found what works for you. I think I might still yet stay away from heat for a full week to be sure that the proper healing is taking place, without swelling. Heat increases circulation, but it can also increase swelling if you have any, so be careful with that heat. 😉 I know it feels good though. Wish I had a hot tub, I would sit in it every night; I love ’em.

r-at-work

did something similiar to my calf last year… I figured the cause had to be slight dehydration at the beginning of my run…

the solution for me was gentle massage… I used a tennis ball while I sat at work… my coach also suggest suplementation of potassium as that may not always be replenished… bananas are recommended but since I don’t like them I have tried dried apricots, also high in potassium…

I was told to be careful with the stretching as a serious injury might be made worse if you over do the stretch… and RICE is for the first 48-72 hours, after that (sounds like you figured it out) moist heat is a good thing… good luck

(good luck to you to Ryan)

-R

stealthycat
    r-at-work wrote:
    the solution for me was gentle massage… I used a tennis ball while I sat at work… my coach also suggest suplementation of potassium as that may not always be replenished… bananas are recommended but since I don’t like them I have tried dried apricots, also high in potassium…

-R

I did not know that about apricots, but I love those little suckers. They’re like healthy candy. Did you know that baked potatoes are also an excellent source of potassium? I don’t eat enough foods with potassium, so I really need to be more dedicated to that. 😕

EastRiver
    stealthycat wrote:
    So I had to get back to my car anyway, and finished the 12 miles with no problem other than the discomfort in my calf which didn’t seem to be affecting my form….

It was OK this morning, but still slightly painful, so I just did the minimum of 20:00.

I recently ran through through mild pain only to have it blow up into something that has forced me to take off 3 weeks and counting. Based on that experience, I would encourage you to stop running until the pain disappears entirely. If your calf troubled you enough that you knew you shouldn’t run longer than 20 minutes, you would probably do well not to run at all.

You’re much better off taking a few days off now and getting back to full strength than persisting with your workouts until your condition gets so painful that you have to stop for a longer period of time. In a few days off you won’t lose fitness. You might even come back feeling stronger and running faster because you will have allowed your body to recover from the stress of steady training.

I also suggest that you dedicate extra attention to stretching the muscles at the back of your leg above the knee – piriformis, glute, hamstrings. Tightness in these muscles can cause you to change your stride to a degree that you won’t necessarily perceive but can still result in compensatory injuries to other parts of your body. The calf is a prime spot for such injuries to show up.

Good luck getting healthy – I hope it happens soon.

MarkRunner

I often have had something similar in the past. For me, it is caused by a muscle imbalance or tightening of the shin. My calf is strong from the running and my shin is weak/tight. Try some light stretching of your shin. From a sitting position, I place my toes under the couch and gently lean back. For strengthening, I use a resistance band and a Velcro strap that hold the bands to my shoe laces, but lifting a light chair or ottoman works as well. Pretend you are doing a sit-up, placing your toes under the chair and slowly lift. I try to go through the full range of motion. I hope you are feeling better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.