inspiration

Welcome! Forums Running Forum inspiration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  r-at-work 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

weird evening last night… I had spent the day in bed with a migraine… went to watch my oldest son at his track meet… he was only going to be pole vaulting… they have a ‘new’ head coach, really enthusiastic but according to my son who has run XC and track since he was a freshman and is now a junior, the guy doesn’t work the long dstance runner (or anyone) enough… I keep telling him to do more on his own if he really feels that way, he usually only adds a bit on Sat. & Sun…. anyway, for only the second time this season the coach had him running as well as vaulting… see the coach didn’t think he should do both (tire him out too much?)..he was doing better than expected in the vault and they called for the boys 800, what he should have run, there he was with a decision… run or vault… he REALLY enjoys the vaulting especially since they have a new vault coach who is great… so he stayed on the runway, in line and blew off the 800… the vaulting didn’t end up as good as he had hoped and he was kinda down…

so I told him to go ask the head coach if he could run something else… the only other event open at that point was the 3200… so my son said “what the heck, if I die at least I will have RUN SOMETHING”… turns out as it was a small meet he was the only runner, got the points for his school and I thought showed a lot of guts to just run it by himself… he said he felt like crap afterwards but it convinced him he needs more miles…but best of all he said it was FUN…

the other thing that happened is that so many of the regular guys were missing they didn’t even HAVE a 4 X100 group… so the shot put & discus guys got on the track and ran…dead last but the best cheering of the whole night… team spirit…

guess it was just great to see kids having FUN…

-Rita

Good story. I know that every point I picked up in HS was based on running the two mile. Not because I was good at it, but because I would do it. Now even though I’m a 5k/10k guy I’m sure I’m still a two-miler at heart. There’s a lot that can be learned by sacraficing what you want to help out the time. It sounds like you and your son both really value that, which to me says a lot about you both. Best of luck to him this season, and drop a message on how he does in the future.

Para

Districts for my son’s HS track & field has been the last two evenings… Wednesday I went out and we discovered that the had re-scheduled the boys for Thursday, but he decided to weigh in… and lucky he did, he was a pound a a half too heavy for the pole he had been using… so the coach said jog a bit tonight (W) and a bit in the morning (Th) and cut back a bit on his meals…

well he took them seriously, and while he did about 5 miles pm/am and then also did another 5 at lunch(Th), I made a nice lean dinner for him (W) but he skipped breakfast and lunch too (AAAACCCKKK)… and didn’t drink any water from about 10am… which when you consider he was in class in not that big a deal… but he lost 5.5 pounds… the coach joked that you could tell it was a lot of excess… I figured mostly water loss… he wighed in and immediately had a power bar and a bottle of gatorade… said he fel tlike a million bucks, I told him that once a year it wasn’t too bad, but to make that kind of thing a habit woudl ruin his health, he said skipping meals wasn’t fun (he enjoys good food)…

but he didn’t have a good night, rolled his wrist on the second attempt and should have stopped there… but he tried another, hit the bar, saw the trainer for ice and this morning his wrist was swollen (slight sprain, went down with more ice)… but he did say he was happier since he had run realized that as much as he enjoyed vaulting he had missed running, my son just doesn’t get along with the head coach (he’s not the only one) and hasn’t enjoyed track training at all this season…

so in response to this situation with the running, several people have dropped out of track, lots more (than usual) had dropped over winter… not even a full squad at districts… the good news is that the previous head coach has retained XC since that is what he likes better than track… and my son figures that the last two days are a good start for his fall season… I just hope he continues… not that he has buckets of talent, but he enjoys the comraderie and I think running in general and XC in particular teach you a lot about life… the old “you get out what you put in”…

it certainly was fun to sit around and watch the kids run (jump/vault/throw)…. now we’ll have to see if it lasts all summer…

-Rita

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.