Is this really necessary??

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Is this really necessary??

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Is it really necessary to do 2 hour to 2 hour 10 minute long runs for 1 mile training?? I was thinking of sticking around the 1 hour 30 minute range for long runs and then save those 2 hour plus runs for XC.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s not necessary to do runs of 30 minutes for the mile but, if your base will support it, it will help.

Zeke
    Manwich9 wrote:
    Is it really necessary to do 2 hour to 2 hour 10 minute long runs for 1 mile training?? I was thinking of sticking around the 1 hour 30 minute range for long runs and then save those 2 hour plus runs for XC.

Manwich,

Are you still in high school? College? Of course it’s not necessary to do those long runs, but like Ryan said, if your training will support it you’ll be better off. You’ve been reading Lydiard. Have you checked out how guys like Peter Snell did in the 800 and 1500 following his training?

Here’s an interview that might get you fired up.

http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/2005/kencormier.html

Manwich5

Yes I am a junior in high school. I am not sure what you mean by “If your training will support it”?? Do you mean if it causes recovery problems then your base will not support training for the mile??? Oh and thanks for the link. Is there a possible link to how the 800/1500/mile runners base train following Lydiards program.

thanks

Zeke
    Manwich5 wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean by “If your training will support it”??

I mean, if your long run is currently 1 hour, don’t go run 2 hours tomorrow.

Is there a possible link to how the 800/1500/mile runners base train following Lydiards program.

My impression is that Lydiard didn’t distinguish between 800/1500 runners, 10k runners, marathon runners, etc during the base phase. Everyone trained with a similar approach, then when they started speed work they did different workouts based on the event they were training for.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Manwich5 wrote:
    Yes I am a junior in high school.

I won’t go into my whole thing but, at this point, I will say that your first and only source of training advice should be your coach. It’s good to get overall training knowledge but your coach is the one who knows best what off-season training would benefit you based on what you will be doing in season. Chances are base training won’t hurt you but there may be something extra your coach expects you to be doing that you won’t be doing if your primary source of advice is anyone or anything but your coach.

Manwich5 wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean by “If your training will support it”??

If your weekly mileage is not high enough or your long runs haven’t already been at least relatively close to that level, doing 2+ hour long runs will take too much out of you and negatively affect the rest of your training.

Manwich5 wrote:
    Is there a possible link to how the 800/1500/mile runners base train following Lydiards program.

Base training is all the same, whether you are training for 800 meters or 100 miles. What comes after base training is what varies depending on your event of choice.

Manwich5

My coach hasn’t emailed me back in almost a month buts its not all bad because i do not really need coaching help for base building. All i have to do is use the lydiard method, listen to my body, and slowly increase time mileage when my body is ready. When the race prep phase comes during the season then I really need coaching assistance because i do not know a thing about how to incoporate speed at the right times and peaking and all that stuff. I leave all that stuff up to my coach.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Manwich5 wrote:
    …i do not really need coaching help for base building.

A lot of people seem to think that, not realizing that different training philosophies require different methods of off-season training. I believe that the most sound philosophies implements Lydiard-style base building in the off-season and I believe that style of base building is least detrimental to differing philosophies. However, if one was on a plan that would implement another type of off-season training, doing Lydiard-style base building as opposed to that other type of off-season training could be detrimental.

Zeke
    Manwich5 wrote:
    i do not really need coaching help for base building.

Then why are you on here asking us questions?

Manwich5

I was on here asking questions because i was interested in using lydiards base building methods. I was just unclear on what lydiard meant and asked questions to help me understand. My coach did not say how many miles per week to do or in this case time per week during the off season. I have asked him if he could send me a weekly plan one time but he didn’t seem to interested in doing that and that kind of died off. I was pretty much left on my own to build a base. So i tried to sum up my basic knowledge and do my best. Chalk full of motivation and Obsessed with running a 4:20 mile and being very competetive this season i really wanted to make sure i was doing the best for myself. Then i stumbled into Lydiards idea’s. I have realized that alot of people have been very succesful with Lydiards method so i said why not give it a try. So far it seems to work great and it made me realize and discover that i was probably running to fast on my runs in the past. His method allowed me to run 7 days a week rather than 6 and rarely 5 in the past. As for the other questions i just figured that they were simple enough and not worth waiting precious base building weeks or longer for a response from my coach. I just want you all to know you have all been very helpful and for that i thank you. I am very sorry to have bothered you all with my questions. When the season starts which is in a week I will leave you all alone and never post here again.

sorry

Zeke

Manwich,

Don’t run away. We’ve been happy to try and answer your questions. I just thought it was funny that you contridicted yourself saying you didn’t need a coach for base-building, yet have all these questions on the topic. Sorry to hear your coach isn’t providing any feedback.

It nice to see a high schooler so motivated and looking for ways to improve. Good luck this track season. Maybe you shoule bookmark that interview with Ken Cormier, then come summer you can read it again prior to base building for X-C.

Seriously, stay around and let us know how the season progresses.

Ed 1

Manwhich – stick around. You cannot let things siad by others push you away. This site is one that you should not take things from others in a negative perspective – most everyone on here means no offense when they post – this site is special in that way. Things may come accross rude or tough but I can almost guarantee that it was not meant that way. We need your experiences here – not all of us have experienced everything so your input might be badly needed some day. Plus, we might be able to help you out again. So please stick around.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Manwich, it’s up to you whether you want to stay or go. I just hope you realize that whatever was stated in this thread was stated with your best interests in mind. If your coach isn’t responding for requests for advice, you take a best guess as to what will work in the off-season and Lydiard-style base training is the best guess that I can think of. It’s just that it is extremely important to know that the best source of advice is always your coach. I can’t tell you how many people I have seen state that their coach told them to do something (usually base training in the off-season) but they claim their coach is “stupid” so they are looking for something better. This usually doesn’t come out right away. It takes some serious questioning for it to come out at times. However, when it does come out, it is usually very telling.

Manwich5

As soon as i set foot on the track i will bombard my coach with questions just like i usually do every season. Then when the races are on I will make it burn like crazy and make my invisions of winning or running really fast come true. 4:20 here we come! 😀 and now that i understand I will continue to post here i was just making sure i wasn’t causing any trouble.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.