Jordan to welcome the athletics world in 2009

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Jordan to welcome the athletics world in 2009

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 9 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Amman, Jordan – The world’s biggest winter outdoor athletics event will be held in Jordan when the Kingdom hosts the 37th IAAF World Cross Country Championships on 28 March 2009.

The event is the latest in a burgeoning portfolio of world class events that Jordan has hosted and the championship patron, HRH Prince Feisal Al Hussein, expects it to further position the Kingdom as a leading sporting, leisure and business destination.

“We are delighted that the IAAF has selected us to host this prestigious event and, just like previous international federations have found out, we will not let the athletics world down,” said HRH Prince Feisal, President of the Jordan Olympic Committee.

IAAF article

GTF

How many top runners will go to the selection race in February and win prize money and then turn around and decline the team spots once again?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good question. Maybe prize money should be awarded to those who fill roster spots instead of those who place and then decline the roster spots.

Or a hybrid prize structure: some prize money for top finishers, some “roster bonus” (or “training stipend” – whatever name they would want to give it) type prize structure for those who actually join the team.

GTF

I believe there already is a 'roster bonus' (the selection race is also a national championship, hence prize money for placing alone) but perhaps the larger sums should be awarded those who accept roster slots rather than to those placing highest at the race.  Make the bonus high enough relative to the prize purse that it becomes harder to refuse the team spot.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I guess that's what I was picturing when I stated that. A nominal fee for finishing in the top X in the race and a significant “roster bonus” that would be at least as much as, I'd prefer significantly more than, the prize money given out for placing high.

Sure, it's a national championship but the real intent of it is still selection of a national team. Kind of like the Olympic Trials is a national championship.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.