Keeping base up while adding quality

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Keeping base up while adding quality

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Manwich5 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Manwich5

Is it possible to hold your weekly base mileage during the season? if a runner is running 70 mpw during base building can he still run 70 mpw during the season with the speed workouts added. I came up with this question after reading the “Its not quality vs. quanity” training article on this website. Is it possible to progress your weekly mileage during the season? Also one simple question….what do you mean by high volume? is that just how many miles you are running? So according to the websites article it is possible for me to go on early morning run before school and then do a speed workout after school without it hurting my afternoon speed workout? If thats true thats really awsome because i just started doing 2 a day workouts about a week and a half ago and i really enjoy them. For some reason i just need that morning run to start my day and if i can do a morning run without it hurting my afternoon speed workout that would be heaven.

Zeke

Manwich,

Did you read that interview with Ken Cormier that I posted 1-2 weeks ago?

Is it possible to hold your weekly base mileage during the season? if a runner is running 70 mpw during base building can he still run 70 mpw during the season with the speed workouts added.

Men’s Racing: What was your training like during the season?

Ken Cormier: As the season progressed, I went from 105 to 110 at the beginning to 90 during the middle. Then my intervals started, the hard mile intervals, stuff like that where you can’t really keep up that mileage. You have to keep the quality miles. So, I’ll say I averaged about 90 and then Foot Locker came and [my mileage] dwindled down a little more to 85. And then the, week before regionals and the week before nationals, it was 35-45. I really cut back.

So according to the websites article it is possible for me to go on early morning run before school and then do a speed workout after school without it hurting my afternoon speed workout?

Men’s Racing: Give me a typical training week for you.

Ken Cormier: A typical week during cross country, with a meet on Wednesday, would go something like this. Monday, I would hit 10 miles in the morning and then I would do an eight-mile tempo run in the afternoon. Then, Tuesday morning, I’d hit 10 miles again and then a six-mile tempo run in the afternoon. Wednesday, I would do 13 miles in the morning and then I’d run my meet. I’d try to run that really hard. Thursday, I would run 10 miles in the morning and then I would do an interval workout or something, repeat miles or 800s. On Friday, I would do 10 miles in the morning and then in the afternoon, I’d do hills or a surge workout. Then, Saturday, if we didn’t do hills on Friday, we would do hills. Then, Sunday, I would take off. If I was really sore, I would do a really light four-mile run.

While you’re probably not ready for 10 miles in the morning followed by a hard workout in the afternoon, I bet you could handle a very easy 30-45 minute run in the AM and a hard workout in the PM. Give it a try and see if you like it. If not, you can always do your 2-a-days on your easy days, not your workout days. You’re young – experiment and find out what works and what doesn’t.

Zeke

If people haven’t read the initial interview, I should clarify that Ken says his tempo pace was like 5k pace plus 1 minute. I’d think of it more as a steady-state run, than a tempo run in the Daniels, Pfitz, et al sense.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It may or may not be possible. I usually drop my mileage off at first, then end up incrementally increasing volume again. However, the key is that you have to remember what each phase of training is for. Base phase is for aerobic development. Later phases are not. All you have to do is keep running enough to reasonably maintain what you have already built up in base phase and you should not have to run as much in order to do that.

comparing speed to endurance, endurance is easier to hold on to based on my experience.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Steve From NJ wrote:
    comparing speed to endurance, endurance is easier to hold on to based on my experience.

It takes longer to build endurance but it can also be maintained for a longer period of time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.