Khalid Khannouchi returns to Chicago for four years

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Khalid Khannouchi returns to Chicago for four years

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Chicago (May 19, 2004) The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon will once again be home to

the world’s most recognizable marathoner, Khalid Khannouchi. The LaSalle Bank Chicago

Marathon and Khannouchi have reached an agreement that will bring him to the streets of

Chicago for the next four years.

The four-year deal calls for Khannouchi to participate exclusively in Chicago among all fall

marathons and will give him the opportunity to compete for the world record on a course he

has dominated over the years.

With four first-place finishes in Chicago, including a World Record in 1999 and an American

Record in 2002, Khannouchi has become synonymous with the LaSalle Bank Chicago

Marathon. His dominance and epic performances on the 26.2 mile route is one of the great

sports stories in Chicago.

Khannouchi withdrew from last year’s Chicago marathon due to injury. After months of

treatment and rest, Khannouchi just finished his first phase of altitude training and feels

better than he has in years – he is focused squarely on a top performance in Chicago.

“I have been in intense training for the past 8 weeks and now feel that I can compete at the

level I expect of myself for a full marathon,” stated Khannouchi. “Chicago is where I started

my marathon career and I couldn’t think of any other place where I’d like to make my

comeback. I have a goal in mind and I believe Chicago is just the place I need to be to

achieve that goal.”

Khannouchi will have tough competition the next few years as last year’s defending

champion, Evans Rutto of Kenya, announced earlier this year that he will run Chicago the

next two years. Khannouchi tends to perform at his best when faced with challenges and

tough competition. The 2002 London Marathon proves just that as he overcame one of the

strongest marathon fields ever assembled to lower his own World Record with a 2:05:38

victory.

The dramatic race included Khannouchi passing two of the greatest distance runners ever –

Paul Tergat and Haile Gebreselassie – in the final two miles. Khannouchi’s London victory

was also redemption of sorts. He finished third in the 2000 London Marathon in 2:08:36,

missed the 2000 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials with injuries and dropped out of the 2001

World Championships marathon due to severe foot blisters.

Last year was much the same for Khannouchi as his injuries kept him from competing in

Chicago and the U.S. Olympic Trials, but if history repeats itself, Khannouchi could be at his

best ever in 2004.

“Khalid Khannouchi is one of the most determined athletes I have ever come across,” added

Executive Race Director Carey Pinkowski. “He thrives in Chicago and he loves this city. His

injuries are behind him and his preparation for this year’s race is going extremely well.”

When asked when a world record might return to Chicago, Pinkowski noted it has been over

a year since Paula Radcliffe shocked the world with her then 2:17:18 World Record and he

responded frankly: “I fully expect that the new LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon route is

designed to host a world record attempt on October 10 this year.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.