Lagat vs. Rupp over 5000m in Boston

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Lagat vs. Rupp over 5000m in Boston

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

The race that is headlining the USATF preview of the Reebok Boston Indoor Games. (Didn't they officially change the name to the Adidas Boston Indoor Games?) Any thoughts on whether this race will live up to the top billing?

I'm not sure I see that. Lagat seemed pretty primed at Millrose last weekend. He looked like he was ready for the mile, the only question is whether he can continue to run like that over 5000 meters. Rupp, on the other hand, I would assume is focusing more on the outdoor season. I wouldn't count Rupp out but I think Lagat has the upper hand at this point. Still, it will be an interesting matchup between a veteran and a young and still rising star.

Andrew A.

Do they ever?  They have to hype this decaying carcass, and those two names seem to be about all they have.  Lagat has been racing and beating top international pros.  Rupp beat some solid domestic competition last weekend, but then he also lost to a walk-on collegiate runner recently.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm sure it will be close until the closing laps, just because Lagat will sit back and lay on a killer kick just like he did at Millrose. However, close until the closing laps doesn't mean a closely matched race. It just means the far superior athlete chose to make his move late.

ed
    Participant

Will the race be streamed? I do not have cable and I would like to watch it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm not aware of it being streamed but you might check espn.com or look for it on YouTube after the fact. Being an NBC entity, I'm guessing Universal Sports won't have it this time around as it's an ESPN broadcast.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.