Lakefront Closed…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Lakefront Closed…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Peter

Milwaukee's Lakefront marathon closed registrations yesterday. They had capped it at 2500 runners, and as of yesterday had received 2772 entries. I see Cameron and Double among the registered entrants, hope you two and everyone else gets to the start line healthy.

This is definitely the earliest they have filled up. With 45,000 running in Chicago and 10,500 in Twin Cities, that's a whole lot of folks running 26.2 miles in the midwest on the same day!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow, that's crazy.

Well, I guess that makes my decision of whether or not to do Lakefront easier. Obviously, by delaying the decision this long, I was showing that my heart wasn't really into it anyway.

Best wishes to Double, Cameron, and the other 2498 who will be lining up in Grafton.

sueruns

Ryan >:(  😀

you're not trying!!  I bet a fast guy could “still” get in.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sue, to be completely honest, the fact that I hadn't registered when I heard there were only 400 spots left tells me my heart really isn't into it. With what I expect of myself when I toe the line, I have to be 100% into it before it's worth entering or I'm not going to be satisfied with the results.

So no, I wasn't trying. I don't think my heart is into running a marathon this year. Given that, it's probably best that I just enjoy some shorter races again this year.

cameron

admittedly my heart isn't in it at the moment.  i registered with the hope that inspiration will find it's way to me between now and then. 

in a way it's great to see the growth/popularity of the marathon on it's way up.  many ultramarathons are now filling well in advance…especially out in california.  that being said, i do miss the opportunity to register for a race after that last long run or even at the race expo.

GTF

it's great to see the growth/popularity of the marathon on it's [sic] way up.

Why is that?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Honestly, while I think it's great to see growth in the popularity of a fitness sport that may help people become more healthy, I'd rather see the growth in popularity happening in 10k races. Too many people get into the marathon way before they are ready. They should start with some 5k and 10k races before ever considering the marathon.

cameron

i think running – exercise in general – is a very positive thing that our obese & lazy culture should embrace.  i think taking preventative measures, such as exercising, also can help minimize your health care needs long term…which saves $ and offers the individual a higher standard of living.

the growth of marathon running is also encouraging to me because we also live in an age of instant gratification.  marathoning doesn't work that way.  it takes a minimum of weeks/months, and kind of like what ryan says, ideally months/years to prepare for.

Ryan
    Keymaster

i think running – exercise in general – is a very positive thing that our obese & lazy culture should embrace.  i think taking preventative measures, such as exercising, also can help minimize your health care needs long term…which saves $ and offers the individual a higher standard of living.

Agreed.

the growth of marathon running is also encouraging to me because we also live in an age of instant gratification.  marathoning doesn't work that way.  it takes a minimum of weeks/months, and kind of like what ryan says, ideally months/years to prepare for.

The problem is people are applying this instant gratification philosophy to “preparing” for a marathon. I used to be floored by the “couch to marathon in 6 months” advocates out there because 6 months is not nearly enough time for a non-runner to prepare for a marathon. Now, there are “couch to marathon in 12 weeks” so-called “plans” out there. Ever wonder why so many people think a marathon is a near-death experience? It's because so many people are trying to treat it as an instant gratification pursuit, which does make it a near-death experience.

GTF

i think running – exercise in general – is a very positive thing that our obese & lazy culture should embrace.

No doubt, except that exercise in and of itself apparently does not defeat obesity. 

i think taking preventative measures, such as exercising, also can help minimize your health care needs long term…which saves $ and offers the individual a higher standard of living.

Again, of course, but what this has to do with the growth in popularity of the marathon has not been established.  Also, exercise (alone) does not lead to weight loss.  Exercise can be done and fitness can be achieved outside of marathon racing, just like it can be done outside of bicycle racing or swim racing or etc.  The trend of marathon growth has occured all but within the exact same timeframe as the rise of the obesity epidemic, so it would certainly appear that marathon popularity has little-to-nothing to do with societal-wide fitness and health, certainly not as an indicator or in a causal relationship.  Marathon running has essentially nothing to do with either creating or erradicating obesity — or laziness, if anything, marathon entrants are lazier than ever (see below).  The notion of the choice of exercise-or-obese or marathon-or-obese is incorrect and this is borne out in the fact that both obesity and marathon participation have seen their rates rise significantly at essentially the exact same time — if anything, the logical (if incorrect) surface conclusion to draw from recent history (considering no other facts outside of the two rates) would be that either increased marathon participation leads to greater per capita obesity or that greater incidence of obesity leads to increased marathon participation.  In reality, though, there is no causal relationship between either rate in any direction, up or down.  As a rule, people who are prone to obesity have zero interest in the marathon or fitness and those interested in the marathon or fitness are not likely to be prone to obesity.  This is not likely to change, certainly not within this generation.

the growth of marathon running is also encouraging to me because we also live in an age of instant gratification.  marathoning doesn't work that way.

Ever heard of Jean's Marines?  Racing the marathon to the best of one's ability may not work that way, but it is a slim segment that takes such an approach and it has been shrinking throughout the past couple decades.  Meanwhile the marathons are selling out early due largely to the rise in the unfit charity participant entries (or those who are displaced from entering a certain marathon by charity participant entries and thus have to enter other marathons and swell the ranks there so that entries close months before race day), people who are disingenuously encouraged to do something they are not prepared for, even to the extent of cheating to reach even the most pedestrian of goals. 

it takes a minimum of weeks/months, and kind of like what ryan says, ideally months/years to prepare for.

Not according to the mainstream running media (3 or 4 months from couch to marathon, running just 3x per week to improve marathon performance, etc.), which is what has been fostering (in part) the growth in marathon entries.  The corresponding significant slowing in median finish times is another indication that refutes that notion.  Popularity tends to water-down (if not eliminate) special, noble qualities in anything, and the marathon has been no exception. 

WI MTP

Couch and fat guy (300#) to 3:09 marathon in 9 months here.  But I don't expect instant gratification – I worked hard.

I'm guessing I might know Sue (Maybe not) – If your her you know who I am.

I'm in for Lakefront – My heart is in it  ;D

Ryan
    Keymaster

WI MTP, that is an amazing accomplishment. I would never want to belittle such an accomplishment (and I don't think I am by saying this) but, in all honesty, if you got through that without injury or undue pain, you are in the minority. Especially given such an impressive performance. You have a very bright future in running, it's good to see you're going to continue.

WI MTP

That was 2004

I am still trying to get to a good running weight 175-180

at 205# – 2:47
    At 195# – 2:45

Goal is to get to 180 or below by Lakefront.  One thing God blessed me with is durability – My body has taken any abuse I have given it – so far  🙂

I joined this community – because it seemed there are a lot of WI people here … and Sue – I need to keep a strategic advantage on her or she kicks my butt.

Als will be tough to swing this year – but I really want to hit it next year.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow, those are some very impressive accomplishments. You most definitely do have a bright future in running.

You're always welcome to join the team. Whether at Al's Run or at Lakefront (I'll be a spectator), I'd love to meet you this fall.

WI MTP

I love to meet fellow runners – I will be at LFM and will take any cheering / support people have to offer.

My time @ LFM will largely depend on my weight (As usual) I am 200# currently and hope to be 180# in 80 days.

Al's run is out – My wife is an outstanding supporter of my running, so the few times she thinks something is a bad idea – It is  🙂

I found Hillrunner because of the Treadmill Calculator (Nice) – I have no idea what Hillrunner (Team) is about.  I think I have seen singlets at races (Point Bock?)

Back to work –

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have no idea what Hillrunner (Team) is about.  I think I have seen singlets at races (Point Bock?)

It's just about the local members of the Hillrunner.com community getting together for a race, competing as a team, and having some fun…and, of course, trying to win.

As for singlets, you probably haven't seen them because they don't exist…yet. I've tried several times to look into getting singlets for the team but I've always been told I don't have the volume to get them in a way that wouldn't make them cost prohibitive. I still haven't given up but nothing yet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.