‘Laughter and a smile’ the key to Radcliffe’s recovery prior to Osaka

Welcome! Forums Running Forum ‘Laughter and a smile’ the key to Radcliffe’s recovery prior to Osaka

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 11 years ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

It still sounds like Radcliffe wants to leave open the possibility of the 10,000 at Osaka and she most definitely sounds like she's planning on running in Beijing.

The people who are expecting her to retire are far more numerous than just GTF. Honestly, I would not be surprised if that's what happens. However, she's not publicly entertaining that option at this point in time at least. She definitely sounds like a person who still has big plans.

World marathon champion Paula Radcliffe admitted she has not lost her intensity or desire since giving birth and admitted having a baby may prove an advantage in her quest to win world and Olympic titles.

The 33-year-old Brit gave birth to daughter, Isla, in January but during the 27-hour labour picked up a stress fracture in the base of her spine which could rule her out of the defence of her World title in Osaka.

However, despite her obvious frustration at being sidelined she says it cannot allow this to cloud her daily life.

“With her (Isla) you cannot be down and depressed,” said Radcliffe several hours before starting the Tesco Race for Life women-only 5km race at London’s Battersea Park.

IAAF article

r-at-work

it's certainly fine to plan, but as thin as she was before the pregnancy, as much as she hoped to get back  into competition but starting back quickly after the delivery it might not be too big of a surprise that (as GTF noted) her body might just be 'fried'… bone density issues need to be addressed and a sacral fracture also carried with it the possiblity of neuralogical complication as it can involve the spine if there is any displacement…

while I tend to take all the press releases with a pound of salt (they are just trying to sell papers)… I am sure there is more involved with Radcliffe's plan than laughter and a smile… like calcium and vitamin D… pregnancy takes more out of a woman than they want to think… and to start with a body close to the edge is just dangerous…

I hope she comes back, but if her body has other plans, her laughter and a smile might be all she has to keep that baby entertained, it should be enough for any kid, but will it be enough for Paula… I would hate to see her go through a series of injuries…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh, I'm sure there's doubtlessly a lot going on to get her back into competitive shape as quickly and completely as possible. I think it's very reasonable to question whether she is simply “fried” and will never be the same runner again (remember, her first Worlds was over a decade ago so it's not like her career has been a flash in the pan, even if she is never the same runner again she has accomplished a lot and lasted longer than many elites). However, it's obvious that she is not ready to throw in the towel yet.

I also do hope to see her back. I think she has been very good for the sport and the sport has been very good for her. I also hope that, if she can not make it back, she can find peace with that.

The whole pregnancy issue with elite runners is a very interesting issue. Obviously, pregnancy does a lot of things to one's body and places huge stresses on it. Some runners seem to struggle a lot with those stresses while others (Sonia O'Sullivan comes to mind as well as, on the national level, Shayne Culpepper) seem to bounce back relatively quickly and/or perform better than ever after giving birth.

I'd be curious to see some research done on both those who struggle and those who find great success after pregnancy. Could how they handle their pregnancies or running during that time be a meaningful factor or does success in coming back really just boil down to individual variables that the individuals have little to no control over? If the latter, I wonder if some of those variables could be identified. Of course, there may not be large enough of a sample size to get meaningful results from such research.

GTF

The scuttlebutt (collected anecdotal evidence) seems to be that pregnancy results in stronger/tougher connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, etc.) and thus greater resistance to injury.  I knew a good female runner who made little secret that she was looking to settle down and start having kids, and made a point of conveying that she was looking forward to running better than ever post-pregnancy due to this alleged benefit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.