‘Lost Boy’ Yuot runs to Div. III glory

Welcome! Forums Running Forum ‘Lost Boy’ Yuot runs to Div. III glory

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GTF 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

GTF

By Joseph Santoliquito
    Special to ESPN.com

CHESTER, Pa. — The journey will always be a part of Macharia Yuot. No matter where he goes, or what he does. Yuot, one of “The Lost Boys of Sudan” and the subject of an ESPN.com story in April, will always carry with him the memory of his walk to freedom as a 9-year-old across nearly 1,000 miles of the largest country in Africa.

So when the Widener University senior revealed the grand plan for last week's Division III national track and field championship at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., he could be excused for ignoring the odd looks and the “Are you crazy?” remarks. The plan: Enter and win the 10,000-meter run on Thursday, the 3,000-meter steeplechase on Friday and the 5,000-meter run on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2466635

Ryan
    Keymaster

What a fascinating story. Chris and I exchanged a few e-mails about this attempt. Yes, I think the word crazy came up. I told Chris his best shot would be if people ran scared of him and he didn't have to push the pace to win any of the events. So much for that. Those times, especially in those conditions, aren't exactly weak times. That's an incredible triple by an incredible athlete.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.