Lydiard book question?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Lydiard book question?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  randys 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

randys
    Participant

Has anyone read both “Running to the Top” and “Running with Lydiard”?

I already own “Running with Lydiard” (and his book “Distance Training for Masters”) and want to know if “Running to the Top” is worth having too?

I need to put together a Christmas list for my wife so I need an answer quickly.

Thanks,

Randy

PeppoMiles

I read only “running to the top”. It’s a good book but IMHO not one of the very best running books, he was probably better at coaching that writing about it.

The books I like most are those of Pfitzinger. I am a scientist, like him (tough in very different field). I loved the fact that he writes as a runner, coach, and scientist at the same time.

Zeke
    PeppoMiles wrote:
    I read only “running to the top”. It’s a good book but IMHO not one of the very best running books, he was probably better at coaching that writing about it.

Same here, I’ve only read “Running to the Top” along with a bunch of Lydiard’s stuff that’s online. I agree with Peppo. His books are good, but they don’t flow very well. He’s not going to spell everything out for you like Daniels or Pfitz. I’m not sure how this book differs from “Running with Lydiard.”

Ryan
    Keymaster

I haven’t read Running with Lydiard but I will concur to a point with the previous points made. Lydiard was in my opinion the greatest mind running has ever seen and quite possibly the greatest mind running ever will see. He was not nearly as great with the pen as he was with runners, though. That said, while his writings can be hard to read, there are some nuggets of wisdom you can find in his books that you would be hard pressed to find in any other books, no matter how well written they are.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.