Marathon Training Mileage

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Marathon Training Mileage

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Madtown Runner 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

I have a question. I am training for my first marathon, MadCity on May 29. I’ve been running for about 2 years and consider myself to be in decent running shape. I’m not the fastest, but not the slowest either. I haven’t done a ton of racing, I ran a 10K in December and PR’d at 39:12, but my training was pretty shoddy.

I started training for my marathon without a ton of knowledge on what kind of training program to do. I’m about 6 weeks out from my marathon and the training is going great. But, I’m only averaging about 40 mpw, peaking at about 54 mpw. My goal is to run a 3:10 or below, right now I think I can shoot for a 3:05. All my training seems to point towards this. By the time I’m finished I’ll have completed four runs of 20 or more miles and two 18 milers. But, I keep seeing posts and more experienced runners say that you should be running 60-70 mile weeks to run close to 3 hours or under for a marathon. Now I know every runner is different, but is it imperative to run more miles?

Thanks to anyone who chimes in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.