March into April…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum March into April…

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Peter

Well I feel much better on April 1 than I did on the 1st of March or February (No fooling!). I do believe I have my foot problems managed and under control, and my running during the month of March was fairly solid. After the 1st 12 days where I only ran 7 times, I was much more consistent the last 3 weeks, missing only one day. Still averaging a tad under 7 miles each day I run, which I plan on working to slowly increase. My mileage isn’t all that high, but the consistency is what I feel is important.

-After all, what’s more important: 50% of 10 miles, or 100% of nothing?

Monthly Summary:

Days ran – 25

Mileage – 167

Avg pace – 7:34

Goals for April are to approach or exceed the 200 mile barrier, and to adequately prep for Crazylegs on the 30th.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I suppose I’ll hesitantly share a high level overview of my monthly training and see what the fallout is after some people expressed interest in knowing at least something about how my training is progressing.

Nothing that special here, just more plugging away. Actually, as I added up my miles, I surprised myself. I thought I had a pretty inconsistent month with a couple minor physical setbacks along the way and a few motivational lapses. However, through it all, I managed to come within a few miles of my all-time monthly high for mileage (I think in the 495-497 range). Still, nothing but base building. I have noticed the paces beginning to get faster but no planned hard running yet. I am still looking at South Shore and Crazylegs in April, both as train-through fitness tests. It should be interesting to see what I can do off nothing but base training and with no taper for them.

The final damage:

Miles: 493

Days running: 30

Runs: 50

Miles per day running: 16.4

Miles per day: 15.9

Miles per run: 9.9

This is up 148 miles from February after that being up 54 miles from January. Things are coming together. In 2002, I remember hitting the 490s for 3 consecutive months and thinking 500 would be tough to break. After this month, I’m thinking 500 should be nothing. All I need is a good month of training with even one fewer little physical issue or mental lapse.

r-at-work

all I have is my marathon PR (4:14:25) to talk about…

since then I’ve spent time with my family and with my mom (and sister)in New York… terminal lung cancer… just no interest in running at this time… and no desire for sympathy at this time either… but it’s great to hear about the rest of you…

Peter… hope that foot thing is a past thing

Ryan… what a great number of miles even with a few motivational lapses, I’d like to know what you say to yourself at those times…

Rita

Bart

March was a good month for me. I entered the month fairly motivated following a half marathon PR on February 27. Here are my stats:

Total Miles: 217

Total Runs: 27

Avg. Pace: 7:37/mile

Days Off: 4 (no doubles this month)

Races: Small local 5K on March 12, finished 3rd overall

Super large 10K (over 15,000 runners) on March 26, finished 197th overall.

I think this is the most mileage I’ve ever had for a single month. I know I was between 210-220 before, but I don’t know if my total was this high. Another thing that has helped is that the weather hasn’t really heated up down here yet. The humidity has increased but the temps are still in the 70s.

Bart

randys
    Participant

March statistics:

Days Run: 31

Total Runs: 32 (1 double; not scheduled, just felt like another run)

Miles: 309

Average: 10/day

Almost exactly on the scheduled average of 70 mpw.

I am not fast but I am consistant. My last day ‘off’ was a travel day for the Philly marathon in November.

I usually run every day (3-5 days off a year) but I plan to take off the entire week after my goal race on May 1st. When I run the race, no matter how bad the pain may get, I will keep remininding myself of the coming week of rest!

Randy

TimRuns

March was new record month for me. I’m still continuing to rack up the miles with 2 more months of base building to go before marathon prep begins.

Running miles: 281.3 (7:26 average pace) with 4 days off (I usually take 1 day off a week to recover) and all singles

Miles YTD: 729.2 (as of March 31)

Also with 11 miles of swimming and ~8 hrs of strength training

April should be as good as March as my mileage continues to increase gradually. Running a half marathon on May 1st to see where I’m at for the marathon.

Ryan: nice work on that ~500 mile month!!

Anne

I’m happy I can March into April and not limp. The last 2 months have been tough but the worst is over. My hip is feeling better and now that the snow is gone I can run on the trails again.

Ran a couple of 5 mile races in March, took a 1st at one and 3rd at the other but it was kind of bittersweet because my times weren’t exactly what I’d hoped for. Happy I placed but …not so terrific times.

Right now training for Journey’s Half Marathon is keeping me occupied with a different mix of workouts. I’ve never trained for a 1/2 before & the change is good for me.

I’ve got a 5K tomorrow, that will be the first real test of the hip. Later this month I plan to run Crazylegs.

Bring on the milder temps and healthy running!

Rita, sorry to hear about your mom.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    r-at-work wrote:
    I’d like to know what you say to yourself at those times…

Well, I’m not quite sure at what point of those times you want to know what I’m thinking. It usually goes along this kind of progression…

“Man, I’m tired. One run today should be good enough.” or “Man, I’m tired. One day off won’t kill me.” (The motivation is dropping quickly.)

“Forget it, I’ll skip just this one run.” (The bottom of the roller coaster, hopefully just involving missing one run but sometimes more.)

“Why am I not running now? I should be out there at least logging a few miles.” (The guilt trip.)

“It’s too late now but I’ve got to make sure this doesn’t happen tomorrow.” (The guilt trip is beginning to work but hasn’t taken hold yet or I’d say it’s never too late.)

“That’s it, I’m making sure I at least get out the door for every planned run. I can at least get something in.” (The return is beginning to stick. This happened about 2 weeks ago.)

“Wow, this is going well. Not only am I getting out the door for all my planned runs. Once I get going, the runs are going very well.” (It’s going to stick, no more motivation concerns. This hit late last week/early this week.)

Zeke

I had a really good March, only my 3rd time over 300 miles. I ran

every day and finished with 316 miles.

One thing that stands out is that I did this on 33 runs, averaging 9.6 miles per run. The other 2 times I was over 300 miles I did it on 36 and 43 runs, averaging 9.0 and 7.3 miles respectively.

YTD 878 miles.

Nice to see everyone is putting in the miles. I can’t wait to read some race reports.

SwampTiger

Unfortunatly, I don’t feel as good today as I did on March 1st. I had a great Feb, missing only one planned run, a short recovery run. In March, I missed 90 planned miles including one long run (a MP run) and one interval workout. After the last two weeks, I’m feeling better, but I still don’t have the confidence I had at the end of Feb.

And now to the numbers….

March total – 197 miles (vs 254 in Feb)

Total runs – 19 on 17 days

Avg miles/run – 10.4

Total YTD – 720 miles (vs 1480 in all of 2004)

Run

199 miles for me this month, I think that is a new high.

Big PR in 10 mile 1:02:11 😀

Just trying to stay healthy for the next 16 days so I can toe the line feeling good.

JCWrs

Well, on some level, I knew I was doing good work this month, but until I totaled it up, I never would have guessed.

March Total: 262 miles (up from 185 and 175 the first 2 months of the year).

# of runs: 27 (1 day off per week seems to be working at the moment).

I keep my head down and run what, for me, was an astounding number of miles and what do I get? Ryan dropping the bomb on us as well as many others making me look like a small-timer! That’s cool, I’ll just have to put my head back down and work even harder (I will get you some day Hill!!!)

Ed 1

Not too bad a month, 195 miles, up 40+ from Jan and Feb. Hopefully, another small climb through April peaking in early May to taper on down by the Green Bay marathon (May 22nd). Consistency better than Jan and Feb as well. Will continue to strive for more consistency and pay more attention to making the easy runs easy.

cameron

Nothing spectacular…did three “back2back” efforts in prepping for a 50M which were 20.5/10.5, 17.5/10.5 and 23/13 respectively.

March Miles: 200

Days Off: 9

Avg Run: 9.09

– – – – – – – – –

YTD Miles: 530

Zeke
    cameron wrote:
    …did three “back2back” efforts in prepping for a 50M which were 20.5/10.5, 17.5/10.5 and 23/13 respectively.

Sounds like solid marathon training to me. 😉

cameron

agreed. i’m still a marathon runner trying to “fake” an ultra. 😆

Anonymous
    Ryan wrote:
    I suppose I’ll hesitantly share a high level overview of my monthly training and see what the fallout is after some people expressed interest in knowing at least something about how my training is progressing.

Nothing that special here, just more plugging away. Actually, as I added up my miles, I surprised myself. I thought I had a pretty inconsistent month with a couple minor physical setbacks along the way and a few motivational lapses. However, through it all, I managed to come within a few miles of my all-time monthly high for mileage (I think in the 495-497 range). Still, nothing but base building. I have noticed the paces beginning to get faster but no planned hard running yet. I am still looking at South Shore and Crazylegs in April, both as train-through fitness tests. It should be interesting to see what I can do off nothing but base training and with no taper for them.

The final damage:

Miles: 493

Days running: 30

Runs: 50

Miles per day running: 16.4

Miles per day: 15.9

Miles per run: 9.9

This is up 148 miles from February after that being up 54 miles from January. Things are coming together. In 2002, I remember hitting the 490s for 3 consecutive months and thinking 500 would be tough to break. After this month, I’m thinking 500 should be nothing. All I need is a good month of training with even one fewer little physical issue or mental lapse.

Ryan,

That’s some mega-mileage. Hat’s off to you. If I could/would commit to a 2 year plus plan I would do something similar (Lydiard like). I feel like I’m pushing the evelope running 70-80 a week. How fast are you running? I know the more I run I have to back way off on my easy days (7:45-8:00 mpm). Are you running most of your miles slowly?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Actually, the pace thing could make for an interesting discussion. Without getting into all the gory details, three months ago, I would have to struggle to do 6 miles at even close to 7:00 pace. I let my paces slide and built up my volume relatively quickly with a lot of running at 7:30 pace, give or take, and with no fear of 8:00 pace. All of a sudden, in the past week or so, I’ve found my paces shooting up. Last week, I had a lot of runs in the 6:50 range and I now just completed an 8 miler at about 6:35 pace. The best part is that it felt quite comfortable, even in today’s wind. I still have no trouble with 7:30 or 8:00 pace if that’s the right pace for a specific run but my comfortable cruising speed seems to be around that 6:50 range at the moment.

Had I not been willing to back off my pace quite a bit back in January, I would probably still be struggling to reach 80-90 mpw and struggling to hold 7:00 pace. However, because I let the pace fall off as I built the volume, I’m now running 2-3 times the volume I was a few months ago and doing it at paces I couldn’t hold at that time.

Anonymous

Are you running the strider 1/2??

Racing?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m still on the fence with the Strider half. I’d like to do it but I may have other things take precedence this weekend. If I don’t do it, I’d still like to get in a time trial, maybe an 8k on a local track, one of these next two weekends. As for whether I’m racing it, if I toe the line, I always race. It’s just a question of how well rested I am for the race and the answer to that for the Strider half would be not very.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.