Mike Huckabee named USATF Athlete of the Week

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Mike Huckabee named USATF Athlete of the Week

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

INDIANAPOLIS – Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has been named USA Track & Field’s Athlete of the Week after running the Little Rock Marathon Sunday in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Huckabee completed the race in 4 hours, 38 minutes, 31 seconds, nearly two years after he started a diet and exercise plan to lose 110 pounds. His efforts inspired others to run in the marathon as race officials attributed the 30 percent increase in entrants this year to the participation of the 49-year-old governor.

“I never felt I was going to quit,” said Huckabee. “I never hit a point where I thought I couldn’t do it. I felt good all the way through the finish and I was kicking it at the end.”

Now in its fifth year, USATF’s Athlete of the Week program is designed to recognize outstanding performers at all levels of the sport. USATF names a new honoree each week and features the athlete on the USATF website. Selections are based on top performances and results from the previous week.

2005 USATF Athlete of the Week Winners: January 4, Amy Rudolph; January 11, Dathan Ritzenhein; January 18, Janine Davis; January 25, Wallace Spearmon Jr.; February 1, Erin Gilreath; February 8, LaShawn Merritt; February 15, LaShawn Merritt; February 22, Walter Davis; March 1, Angela Daigle; March 8, Gov. Mike Huckabee.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.