My very first race!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum My very first race!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Janus 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Janus

Wow, my first race, a relentless excitement did not allow me to sleep a wink.  I finally decided to drag my @ss out of bed around 6am, even though the race didn’t start until 8:30.  Downed a coupla pieces of toast and half a banana, sat on the couch for an hour.  I pin on my bib with an unprecedented nervousness and my sister and I are out the door

The starting line is only a 5 minute walk from my condo, all are races this convenient right?  When we get there an overwhelming sense of anxiety passes over me. I’ve never been surrounded by this many runners.  I wondered if everyone was experiencing the same kind of tension as me, then again, it couldn’t have been everyone’s first race.  We line up and all I can think to myself is, “Holy sh!t, I’m about to start my first race, this is something I will remember for the rest of my life!”

The gun goes off

Mile 1- 7:14
    Wow there are a helluva lot of people, get the hell out of my way.  Did you just cut me off? I’m not sure you have a clue how much restraint it’s taking for me not to trip you. Damn that girl up there has a nice @ss, I hope she can hold this pace. Wait a sec, can I hold this pace?

Mile 2- 7:30
    We’re running through the zoo now, I realize that I smell worse than the monkeys we just passed, but don’t really care because the girl with the nice @ss is well out of site.

Mile 3- 8:04
    Tired as hell already, sh!t, why the hell didn’t I register for the 5k instead?!?

Mile 4- 8:05
    Gunna have to step it up a bit if I wanna meet my goal of 50:00, knowing that I’m almost done provides me with a rejuvenating burst of energy.

Mile 5- 7:45
    Where’d that come from?

Mile 6- 7:47
    Good lord, please let this be over with already!!

.2m- 2:26
    I can see the finish line, possibly one of the most wonderful sights I’ve ever seen.

Finish- 48.13

I’m greeted at the finish line by family and friends congratulating me endlessly, what a wonderful first race experience!! The one and only downside, after the race, the girl with the nice @ss was nowhere to be found, precluding me from asking for her #.

The bib hangs on my refrigerator like a report card

randys
    Participant

Congradulations, nice job in your first race, and going under goal time had to feel good.

I know how you feel in the middle miles. They are the toughest part of the race for me too. The early miles always feel good, and the last few, no matter how bad you feel, you know its over soon. But the middle miles can be tough.

Randy

Great job, congratulations. I can understand the excitement, I've just finished my first marathon 2 weeks ago and I'm still excited. Set your goals, train hard, and most importantly ask these people on this forum lots of questions about any problems that may come up along the way. They did a great job helping me.  SKI

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good job on reaching your goal. It looks like you have some positives to take away from this race, as well as some things to work on for next time like running a more even pace. If I may make a suggestion, another thing to work on might be positive thinking. The comments suggest there was quite a bit of negative thinking going on during the race. I know it sounds like voodoo but thinking positively can help you run better.

Janus

Yea, there was definitely some negative thoughts going on.  Even though I was having a lot of fun, and I was getting a big rush from the race atmosphere, there was definitely some negative thinking going on.  I just found those middle miles to be incredibly painful. I clearly started out too fast, and was desperately wishing for the race to end by mile 3. 

As for pacing it's definitely something I need to work on.  Even on training runs I find myself having trouble running even splits. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yea, there was definitely some negative thoughts going on.  Even though I was having a lot of fun, and I was getting a big rush from the race atmosphere, there was definitely some negative thinking going on.  I just found those middle miles to be incredibly painful. I clearly started out too fast, and was desperately wishing for the race to end by mile 3.

In my opinion, if you're racing, the middle miles should be incredibly painful. The key is making sure they aren't too painful because of a too fast start then sucking it up and hammering them, knowing that there's always something left for the finish.

As for pacing it's definitely something I need to work on.  Even on training runs I find myself having trouble running even splits. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 🙂

Practice, practice, practice. The only thing I could really say in this regard other than it comes with time is that people usually start and finish faster and let up in the middle. Try to work on holding yourself back early, keeping your focus through the middle so you don't let up, and not making it into a race over the final mile or so.

r-at-work

congrats on the first… I had to chuckle when I read the part about wondering why you hadn't signed up for the 5K… I ran a 10K a couple weeks ago and thought the same thing, but this week I did a 5K and at the turn around I thought “geez, half over and I'm just getting into a good rhythm”… oh well… as Ryan said 'practice'… try different distances and find the one that suits you best… even that may change as you get more experience…

but it sounded like you have fun, THAT is the key to the whole thing… and practice..
    -Rita

Anne

Congratulations and welcome to the world of racing!
    With each race you run you'll gain experience, you'll make mistakes and learn from them. One of the most common mistakes for newbies and veterans alike is starting out too fast, it's tough to hold yourself back the first couple of miles but like Ryan said,with practice you'll get to know what pace to hit.

The more you challenge yourself the tougher you'll get in dealing with the discomfort of racing.  Think of it as training your mind as well as your body, don't try to block the pain.  Acknowledge it, know that you can deal with it and accept it. 
    Speedwork is great for developing the mental toughness you'll need in racing.  If you've got a good running base established it might be something to add to your workouts. 

Good luck!

Chris

Wow Janus, you show a lot of passion for it being your first race.  Good job and keep training smart.  Maybe someday you'll be able to keep up to the fine young lady with the nice buns.  😮

GTF

Keep the PR's rolling in.  🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.