Nausea

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Nausea

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SwampTiger 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

SwampTiger

Does anyone else have trouble with nausea when racing faster than lactate threshold? In 5Ks and 10ks, and especially those with hills, my limiting factor is my stomach. On the flats I can manage it right at the point of starting to feel the nausea. But sometimes on hills, I overshoot and have to slow down to avoid throwing up. In last weekends trail 10K, I actually did throw up trying to stay on someone’s heels on a big hill at 4 miles. I eventually recovered and caught him at 5 miles, but if he hadn’t faded, I could have lost my age group series win right there on that hill.

I do LT training and hill work although not a lot recently as I’m base building between Chicago and starting training for Boston. I’ve tried taking antacid before a race but I don’t think it helps much. I think the acid just overwhelms. Anyone have any other ideas? I usually feel like I have more left in my legs if I could just control the nausea.

Ed 1

Most of the time that I experience nausea it is from dehydration – never from pace. But that is me personally – it could be different for you. Ensure adeqaute hydration to rule that possible issue out.

Ed 1

Most of the time that I experience nausea it is from dehydration – never from pace. But that is me personally – it could be different for you. Ensure adeqaute hydration to rule that possible issue out.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Have you closely studied or tried to modify your eating habits before these races? Some people have tricky stomachs that can handle some things and not handle others. Personally, I know I have to be more careful before a high intensity effort than I do before a lower intensity, more drawn out effort.

If you have done so, please excuse me for asking what may seem like an obvious question. If not, I’d suggest trying to adjust both how close to your races you eat and what you eat. I had a teammate once who could eat a banana 3 hours before race time and nothing else within 5 hours of race time except drinking water.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Have you closely studied or tried to modify your eating habits before these races? Some people have tricky stomachs that can handle some things and not handle others. Personally, I know I have to be more careful before a high intensity effort than I do before a lower intensity, more drawn out effort.

If you have done so, please excuse me for asking what may seem like an obvious question. If not, I’d suggest trying to adjust both how close to your races you eat and what you eat. I had a teammate once who could eat a banana 3 hours before race time and nothing else within 5 hours of race time except drinking water.

SwampTiger

Thanks for the feedback Ed and Ryan…

I don’t think it is dehydration. I drink plenty before races, and it was only 50 Sat morning. I have tried different eats, from nothing at all to a pop-tart and Mountain Dew to a more healthy, complex carb breakfast. There may be a slight difference if I just eat the sugary stuff, but that might just be in my head. I haven’t tried my marathon habit of eating three hours before the race. I’m not excited about getting up that early for a 10K.

SwampTiger

Thanks for the feedback Ed and Ryan…

I don’t think it is dehydration. I drink plenty before races, and it was only 50 Sat morning. I have tried different eats, from nothing at all to a pop-tart and Mountain Dew to a more healthy, complex carb breakfast. There may be a slight difference if I just eat the sugary stuff, but that might just be in my head. I haven’t tried my marathon habit of eating three hours before the race. I’m not excited about getting up that early for a 10K.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.