Need help

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Need help

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  scottperry00 14 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

scottperry00

I need help with something. I have been called back to the military and need to take a Physical Fitness Test next week. I can get the pushups and situps but I am worried about the run. I will be training all week until next tuesday.

The problem is i do not know how i should go about training to get the best results.

Please give me some advice on this.

I know this is not a lot of time but it is all i have to work with.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Anything you do now will most likely not be of much benefit for you next week. Best advice is if the run is 2-3 miles (most military fitness runs seem to be of that length), gauge your fitness and estimated pace, and try to run as even a pace as you can. As for training, try to run 30 minutes or so at least every other day, and do some stretching before and after your run. Most importantly, don’t stress out; you’ll do what your fitness allows. Good luck!

scottperry00

Thanks for the help. I will work on this.

And thanks for the luck, i may need it.

magpie
    scottperry00 wrote:
    I have been called back to the military and need to take a Physical Fitness Test next week.

. . .

The problem is i do not know how i should go about training to get the best results.

The problem is it takes 10-14 days to see the positive effects from training on performance. You may as well run easy every day to limber up, stretch out, and do strides to key turnover. Outside of that, there is nothing that you can do in training that will help you in such a short amount of time — though there is plenty that you could do to hurt your readiness and performance — do get plenty of sleep and proper nutrition.

scottperry00

Thanks magpie, I was thinking a easy thrity minute run a day for the next week. SHould i go longer? or maybe twice a day or is that a waste of time.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    scottperry00 wrote:
    Thanks magpie, I was thinking a easy thrity minute run a day for the next week. SHould i go longer? or maybe twice a day or is that a waste of time.

At this point, if anything, go shorter. With only a week to go, as magpie pointed out, you can do more harm than good. Don’t push yourself too hard at this point. Short, easy runs to keep your legs loose and maybe a few strides to work on turnover.

scottperry00

Ryan,

thanks for the help. Would you try running twice a day or just once. I want to make sure i am running two miles, no matter how slow just to get me used to that length. I know it is pathetic that i am out of shape but i had been in the Inactice Reserve for 6 years before they called.

Anyway any help is great, thanks for all the help so far.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I would definitely not be doing 2 a days at this point and, if I were in your situation, maybe I’d do a very slow 2 miler as soon as possible just to know I can cover the distance but then I would probably not do it again if it took a lot out of me.

scottperry00

How fast do i need to run to get two miles under 16 mintues?

magpie

Seriously? Better than 8:00/mile pace.

Sluggo

Listen, Scott, I normally would never recommend the minimum but here’s my advice to you in your case: Look up the minimum passing number of situps and pushups on the chart you need at your age and stop at that number even if you think you can do more — the pushups and situps will take away from your run, which is what sounds like you’re worried about. You will have less lactic acid build-up in your arms and core for the run. Since you’re not going for the APFT Badge at least this time around, don’t risk exhausting yourself for points you don’t need on the first two events when what you are worried about passing is the run.

Disclaimer: I only really remember active duty scoring but I think reserves scoring is 60 points minimum on each event. It’s been a while since I was in the Army so check out the latest DA Form 705 Standards for Scoring. (I think that’s the form…?)

The Week of the Test

On the day of the test, fatigue will hurt your score more quickly than any other factor. For two days prior to testing, avoid taxing your muscles — stop training and relax, because it’s too late to improve and more training will only tire you out.

The older you are the more recovery time you’ll need between major exertions, so if you’re over 40 give yourself four to five days’ rest.

During this period of rest, try mental practice. Picture yourself moving through each test event and attaining your specific goal. You need to have a goal prior to taking the test and a strategy of how you plan to obtain that score.

On Test Day

Eat only a light meal immediately preceding the test. Warm-up with a few (and only a few) push-ups about five minutes prior to testing. Do the same thing with sit-ups and the run. Since you may be waiting a few minutes before testing, plan ahead.

Pace yourself on the run. Your best time will occur if you run each quarter mile at the same pace rather than starting fast then fading badly at the end. Also, by starting a bit slower you will be the one passing others, rather than being passed, which will greatly aid your motivation the last quarter mile.

Pace yourself on the other events also. You can only pace yourself by knowing your capabilities, and that will only come from the experience of doing the test several times before doing it for record [obviously not applicable in your case, unfortunately].

**Avoid reaching momentary muscle failure while completing the push-up and sit-up portion of the test. When you feel you’re near muscle failure, rest for a few seconds in the authorized position, then attempt a few additional repetitions.** [in your special case, I recommend stopping at your minimum passing number—NOTE: DON’T FORGET TO PAD IN THE EXTRA POINTS BEYOND EACH INDIVIDUAL MINIMUM TO REACH TOTAL PASSING SCORE!!! — check on this as it might be diff for reserves***]

If the person administering the test says “No” to a repetition, make an obvious, deliberate change in form. Don’t waste good energy on bad reps.

Try to check out the course you will be running the 2 miles. Call the unit that’s going to administer the test and ask them. Good luck. Serve proudly, Brother-in-Arms.

scottperry00

Sluggo, thanks so much for the tips. I needed all the tips i could get.

Thanks everyone who added there advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.