Need some encouragement

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Need some encouragement

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Jeff

Hey gang. I took 1.5 weeks off due to a hip injury. I ran again on Sat and then again this morning. Hip feels a lot better. We’ll see how it feels this afternoon.

Anyhow, I’m kind of going through a depression type of thing. I was following my training plan, things were going great, I was starting to really see some results and then all of a sudden I’m out for 1.5 weeks. I don’t even really know how to get back on track. Where do I start again? I was going good on my Daniels plan, now I’m not sure where to pick up where I left off. I really don’t know what this hip is going to do either. It feels pretty good as I sit and type this. I’m suppose to run a 1/2 on the 15th and then my marathon is on June 19th. I ran 5 Sat. and then 5 again this morning. I don’t even want to look at my training schedule to see what I missed in the last week and a half. I’m kind of worried about the marathon. I still have 2 months left so I should be good, right? I guess I just don’t know how to get going again with my training, if my hip holds up.

My mileage was looking good on the running log site. Now I don’t even want to go there and look.

Here’s what I’m thinking. I just had 1.5 weeks off. If I take another easy week, that will be 2.5 weeks either off or really easy. I know I can’t just jump back into it either. Should I ditch the 1/2 on the 15th?

When I took the 1.5 weeks off I was at like 50 mpw with a long run of 16 and 1 pace run at 12 miles. I was doing tempos or intervals twice a week too.

Maybe I’m looking for some words of encouragement. I need to get back on track!

Jeff

Ryan
    Keymaster

Jeff, if you’re using the Daniels plan, I’ll assume you have his book available in some way. In his book, he addresses returning from injury or some other form of layoff. Basically, for X number of days off, return with Y days of easy running, maybe with some strides thrown in, then work on getting back on track.

I wouldn’t worry too much about missing the 1.5-2.5 weeks. Things happen and people miss time. The worst thing you can do right now is dwell on what you can’t/couldn’t do anything about. Look forward and focus on coming back healthy and making the most of the time you have left.

ferris

in taking 1.5 weeks off, you really didin’t lose that much fitness….maybe 1-3%

the important thing is that you got healthy are are able to get back on the horse.

Ed 1

Don’t skip the half unless your injury makes that the better choice. If anyhting you need to run it to get the miles and the frame of mind of crouds/racing. Enjoy it as a journey back from injury and a buildup to the full monty.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.