New additions to the training log

Welcome! Forums Running Forum New additions to the training log

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

For those of you who use the HillRunner.com Training Log, I just wanted to point out that there are a couple new additions. You can now see a monthly view and a yearly view of your training log. These views are very basic right now but I already have ideas for expansion. I'm also very open to ideas. If you want to share an idea of what you would like to see, through private message or through the contact form, I'm more than willing to listen to and consider all ideas.

While I was in there, I also added “Hill” to the available workout types. “Long run” was also recently added after someone requested it. I also added an Announcements section to the right sidebar so everyone who uses the log can follow all the changes that are going on over there.

Obviously, a lot of changes are going on with the training log right now. I hope this will make the log even more useful for those of you who are already using it and maybe make it worth considering for others.

ed
    Participant

A feature that I always thought would be really cool is:

Total Hillrunner.com miles

A running (no pun intended) total of miles logged using teh Hillrunner.com running log.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You've brought that up to me before and I always put it off until I could get a monthly view in place, then got frustrated trying to bite off more than I could chew with an initial attempt at a monthly view. Now that I've pared that initial attempt way down and gotten a monthly view in place, let me take a look at that. It shouldn't be too hard to do something in the sidebar.

Ryan
    Keymaster

A very rudimentary version of this has been added to the bottom of the sidebar. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to it later today but I have to get some other things done first.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Most likely the last update for today. In your settings, you can control whether or not you want to see “total stats” (all miles logged by all users) and/or “my stats” (all miles logged by you). Currently, everything is displayed in miles. It will be updated to display miles or kilometers based on your settings in the near future but probably not today.

Charlene
    Participant

I like the new features!  700 miles for the year and tomorrow will bring my total hours to 100.  Thanks Ryan!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Found a small bug in the logic for those totals for people who had runs logged in kilometers. This has been fixed. Charlene, I hope this doesn't bring you back below 700 miles. It did knock me down to 759 for the year but I'll get back to the 764 I previously had reported tomorrow.

Hopefully, later this week I can be reporting that people who have their default distance set to kilometers will be seeing kilometers instead of miles in this reporting.

Andrew A.

I confess, I am a Benedict Arnold and switched back to Athleticore, which I had been using for years prior to the rise (and subsequent fall) of Strands.  I guess my only request is to make it more like Athleticore.  😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm open to ideas, I'll take a look around. One lesson I've learned from stalled efforts earlier, though, is to not try to do too much all at once. Additions/improvements will be made on an incremental basis.

Ryan
    Keymaster

OK, barring bugs this is going to be the last update on the training log until I get a few things other than the log worked on.

The new sections added to the sidebar will now display in miles or kilometers based on your settings. Also, I noticed a bug in the monthly and yearly views when viewing in kilometers. The numbers were displaying correctly but it was stating miles, when the numbers were in kilometers. This has been fixed.

Now, it's time to work on something new. It's technically out now (found under the “Race Coverage” section of the site) but a couple of additions will be made and an official announcement will be coming soon. Here's a preview.

ed
    Participant

This looks like it could be a pretty exciting addition – I wonder about possible future live streaming of events.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If live streaming is offered to me as an option, I wouldn't hesitate to jump at the opportunity.

Lighty

Can you make the edit or modify feature work?  Maybe it's me, but that link doesn't seem to work for me.  If I want to edit something in my log I have to delete the whole entry and start over.  I guess the only other thing I'd like to be able to do is track the mileage on my shoes.  Running till the sole falls off works, but I like to keep track of how many miles are on my shoes before that happens.  ;D

Ryan
    Keymaster

That link doesn't work and you're right, that should be my top priority at this point. I also have coding for a shoe tracker started but it got put on hold temporarily.

Just so everyone knows what they may be able to expect in the near future, here's my priority list at the moment:

• Modify workouts (may take some time but it will be the top priority now)
    • More mobile friendly pages (will be easier so may be the first thing to come – for a preview, see the

News section, though this is still a bit of a work in progress)

• Shoe tracking (will take some time but it's definitely on the radar)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.