New to this forum-an intro

Welcome! Forums Running Forum New to this forum-an intro

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Anne 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anne

I used to read Ryan’s posts when he was on Marathons at RW. I recently saw a message there with this website listed as a source for additional running support/info so I thought I’d check it out.

So far I’ve just seen posts from the guys, are there any women runners who post here?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hi Anne, welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many women but there are a few around. I hope the guys aren’t scaring the women away. We really aren’t as bad as we look. 😉

Zeke

Anne,

Welcome. I think there are 2-3 women posting on here, probably a lot more lurking. Maybe you can draw them out.

Whereabouts are you at in WI? I grew up in northern WI and went to college in Eau Claire. The board has a strong WI presence – for better or worse.

Anonymous

Thanks Ryan.

Right now I’m just learning my way around your website, I haven’t looked at the pictures yet. I’m a veteran of L&O at RW though, it would take quite a bit to scare me.

I’ll look forward to meeting the other folks here in the future.

Anonymous

How do I get my response to go under your reply?

I think I recognize the license plate in your photo, looks very familiar.

I’m in Stevens Point, like the rest of the state very cold right now. Taking a much needed break from marathons & concentrating on shorter distances.

How about you? What’s your running background?

My daughter is a sr. & looked at Eau Claire, pretty area.

I’ll do my Glenda the good witch impersonation & see if I can get the lurkers to come out.

The WI connection is what drew me to the site.

elkid
    Anne wrote:
    I used to read Ryan’s posts when he was on Marathons at RW. I recently saw a message there with this website listed as a source for additional running support/info so I thought I’d check it out.

So far I’ve just seen posts from the guys, are there any women runners who post here?

I do! It appears that not am I one of few women here, but I’m also one of few slow runners here.

Zeke
    Anonymous wrote:

Ryan doesn’t have the forum set up that way. Messages are posted first come first served. Not a big deal since traffic is rather lite compared to R&W.

I think I recognize the license plate in your photo, looks very familiar.

Those plates are actually my college coach’s. I just took a picture of them.

How about you? What’s your running background?

My daughter is a sr. & looked at Eau Claire, pretty area.

I followed my dad out the door back in ’79 when I was 10 and have been at it pretty much since then. Ran at EC from 92-96, graduated and moved to the Twin Cities. Since then I’ve done 8 marathons and a few triathlons.

UWEC is nice. Last I heard Point still had a university. 🙂 I suppose that’s too close to mom. Actually, I think all the UW schools are good. Some just specialize a little more in different degrees. You know what they say? “When in doubt, go to Stout.” I had to throw that in there because it’s Ryan’s alma mater.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, not a feature of the forum software that was conveniently available when the software used for the previous version of these forums took a dive. I’m trying to see if a more recent version offers more flexibility but adding this functionality through any method I am currently aware of is not trivial. I have only heard a couple of comments about this format so it seems to frequently become a back burner issue.

Zeke wrote:
    You know what they say? “When in doubt, go to Stout.”

“…If you can’t get in there, go to Eau Claire.” You should really finish off the sayings. 😉

r-at-work

welcome…

I’m definately female, two kids to prove it… and while I’m not as fast as the guys here, 2004 was my best year ever (PR at every distance from 5K thru marathon)… I guess that’s the good news, if you start off as a slow runner you have lots of room for improvement…

as for ‘the guys’… this BB is one of the friendliest I’ve seen.. and filled with knowledge, good support and a few ultra runners who’s weekly mileage is inspirational… occasionally they do ask questions that’ll set you back to thinking, but that’s why I’m here… to think & learn…

hope you enjoy it as much as I have…

-Rita

Anne

It’s nice to meet all of you.

Rita, you sound so much like me. I went from content at the back of the pack to challenging myself over the last two years. 2004 taught me quite a bit about what I was capable of. I’m looking to improve on that in 2005.

Ed 1

Welcome aboard Anne – you will soon see that I have issues with wanting speed like the others here yet have major problems with consistency. I do a lot of posting – more questions than suggestions though – at least at this point. We are a fun bunch and there is a lot of knowledge & experience here to draw from.

Anne

Hello Ed, I’m gathering this is a pretty speedy bunch.

From what I’ve read here it looks like it’s a good source of information.

Good luck with your goals.

MothAudio

Hello Anne. Not sure if I was the one that linked this site or not. I visit both forums, but for different reasons. Anytime I have a serious question about my training I always post here. Because I know I’ll get an answer and I will learn something from it. Hope you stick around, these guys are great!

MikE

Anne

Hi Mike, it probably was your post because I saw Stealthycat on this site & I think she was the one who had asked about running info.

I’m always open to suggestions on how to improve my running, I like the give and take the forum provides.

stealthycat

Hi, Anne, what’s your RW handle? I’m a woman, and I come here mainly to read and gather knowledge. These guys are fast and a great source of information! I’m also a much slower than a lot of these speedies. 😉

Also wanted to add that I’m not really afer a marathon right now, haven’t ever run one for that matter. Just looking to improve at the shorter distances for the time being, and think about marathons in a rather detatched mentality. 😛

MothAudio

Looks like we have more lurkers than regular contributors.

stealthycat

Well, I’m not trying to be a snob, I just don’t have a wealth of advice to give. I’m more of a sponge. 😉 Besides feeling a little intimidated by the -6:00 min/mile runners. 😛

Anne

I think I followed you over here. I’m usually on L&O but I wander over to Marathons to see what’s going on there. My forum name there is Zeppos so if you see me say “Hi”.

After focusing on marathons the last three years I’m now training for shorter distances, so like you, that’s my area of interest.

I just started a 10K training program 2 weeks ago, it’s challenging but interesting.

Look forward to talking to you more about your goals in the future.

stealthycat

I’m the same on RW – Stealthycat. I dont really post much there anymore, but I do read on marathons a little bit. I’m kind of interested in marathons in a sick way. Kind of like I’d like to do one but I’m afraid.

As far as goals for this year, I’d like to see a sub 20 5K and a sub 45 10K by year’s end… I’ll do some half marathons for conditioning. My coach has me doing about 50 mpw right now.. 🙂

What are your 2005 goals?

Ryan
    Keymaster
    MothAudio wrote:
    Looks like we have more lurkers than regular contributors.

I can assure you that we do but that’s pretty typical of forums.

Zeke
    r-at-work wrote:
    I’m definately female, two kids to prove it…

Hmmm, I have two kids too. I guess that proves I’m a woman.

r-at-work

okay… if you gestated those children and gave birth to them, then you qualify as a woman… OR as a sea horse… 🙄

I suppose without genetic testing we’ll never be sure 😯

that’s the beauty of the internet…we’ll never know…

-Rita

Ryan
    Keymaster
    r-at-work wrote:
    that’s the beauty of the internet…we’ll never know…

Personally, I think that’s the great thing about the Internet. We all come here on the same level, completely anonymous individuals. We then make individual choices to let others know as much about ourselves as we wish. Some of us spill our guts, others are complete mysteries. The great thing about that is that we can all give out advice or ask questions and the only preconceived notions anyone will attach to our advice or questions are those which we voluntarily opened ourselves up to. For all I know, some of the individuals on here could be anyone from a local back of the pack runner to Dr. Rosa or one of his athletes. Obviously, I’m not expecting Dr. Rosa to show up around here but the point is who knows who some of the more private people are?

Anne

Wow! A sub 20 5K, I’m in a different league then you! I guess I’ll bring some balance to all these speedsters.

My goals for the year are:

Sub 36:00 5 mile race, I have one in Feb. & one in March

Lower my 5K to 21:??-test this one out in April.

Crazylegs-my first 8K/April

Journeys 1/2 Marathon-I’d like to run under a 7:30/mile pace.

Chicago Marathon-October. Lower my PR of 3:50 (my BQ time)

Right now the program I’m following involves speedwork & I’ve never been fond of that. It’s very tough on me but I’m getting them done.

Do you train by yourself or with others?

JCWrs
    stealthycat wrote:
    I’d like to see a sub 20 5K and a sub 45 10K by year’s end…

I’m not trying to be critical, but how many times have you raced a 5K and a 10K? It just looks to me like your 10K goal is WAY too conservative if you come close to your 5K goal. Myself I hold PR’s of 19:33 and 41:20 (and the 41:20 was on a much more difficult course then the 19:33). If you’re running 50 miles per week and get that sub-20, I would be shocked if you didn’t break 43 much less 45!

stormcatcher

I was the one asking about another running-specific site. I used to post quite a bit on the women’s forum but I’m not really welcome there anymore because….don’t tell anyone…I actually run….outside.

I know Ryan from years ago on MERV but I haven’t been by here in a long time. Looking forward to interacting with runners looking to improve performance and discuss training and the sport.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    stormcatcher wrote:
    I used to post quite a bit on the women’s forum but I’m not really welcome there anymore because….don’t tell anyone…I actually run….outside.

OMG!!! Say it ain’t so! 😛 Seriously? People had that much of a problem with outdoor running? I know it presents challenges but aren’t we supposed to rise to the challenge?

stormcatcher wrote:
    I know Ryan from years ago on MERV but I haven’t been by here in a long time. Looking forward to interacting with runners looking to improve performance and discuss training and the sport.

Did you post under the same username? It seems like I faintly remembered that username from somewhere. Maybe I’m just dreaming, though. I sure hope you find what you are looking for here, though. What you stated you are looking for is exactly what I would like to see happening on this forum. Not that other things can’t fit in but I’m a competitive runner and a fan of the sport and I’d love to at least see some discussions pertaining to those topics.

stealthycat

I’m not trying to be critical, but how many times have you raced a 5K and a 10K? It just looks to me like your 10K goal is WAY too conservative if you come close to your 5K goal. Myself I hold PR’s of 19:33 and 41:20 (and the 41:20 was on a much more difficult course then the 19:33). If you’re running 50 miles per week and get that sub-20, I would be shocked if you didn’t break 43 much less 45!

JW – Your post isn’t critical at all. I’m a fairly new runner (serious only 1 year), consider myself still in the “budding stage.” 🙂 I probably raced 3-4 10K’s and 10 5K’s last year… You are probably right, but my main focus is 5K for this year, and if the 10K and Half Marathon times fall as well, you won’t see me complaining. 😉

I was the one asking about another running-specific site. I used to post quite a bit on the women’s forum but I’m not really welcome there anymore because….don’t tell anyone…I actually run….outside.

Stormcatcher – fancy seeing you here. I guess we are two ousted running snobs because we run our runs (every day), not our future runs (30% of planned runs). 😛

stealthycat
    Anne wrote:
    I guess I’ll bring some balance to all these speedsters.

We are not so different. I know it will be challenging to meet my goal, but I am throwing it out there nonetheless. Your PR is probably faster than mine. 😉

Anne wrote:
    My goals for the year are:

Sub 36:00 5 mile race, I have one in Feb. & one in March

Lower my 5K to 21:??-test this one out in April.

Crazylegs-my first 8K/April

Journeys 1/2 Marathon-I’d like to run under a 7:30/mile pace.

Chicago Marathon-October. Lower my PR of 3:50 (my BQ time)

Very nice time on your 5 miler. Give yourself some credit, you aren’t slow. 😉 Slow is relative – 10 min/mile when you come from RW. We are in a new league here, so maybe we will speed up. 🙂

Anne wrote:
    Right now the program I’m following involves speedwork & I’ve never been fond of that. It’s very tough on me but I’m getting them done.

Don’t you think that speedwork breaks up the workout, makes it more interesting?

Anne wrote:
    Do you train by yourself or with others?

All alone, except for Sundays. I run with a group on some Sundays, but they are pretty casual, so some Sundays I run by myself so I can run a negative split. 🙂

stormcatcher

It wasn’t just the outside running but my approach in general. I used to be “SH” and my hubby is a bit of a serious sort of runner.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.