Olympic and world champion Maurice Greene retires

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Olympic and world champion Maurice Greene retires

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

INDIANAPOLIS – Three-time World Outdoor 100m champion and 2000 Olympic 100m and 4x100m gold medalist Maurice Greene announced his retirement from track and field Monday in Beijing, China.

Recognized as one of the greatest sprinters of all time, Greene won the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay gold medals at the 1999 World Outdoor Championships in Seville, Spain. In so doing he became the second sprinter ever to defend the 100m world title and the first to ever to accomplish the 100m/200m sprint double at a World Championships. The 1999 World Indoor champion at 60 meters, Greene owns the world record in that event, and his former world 100m record of 9.79 seconds set June 16, 1999 in Athens, Greece, remains the American record.

The 2000 Olympic Trials 100m winner and Olympic gold medalist, Greene also won the 100m at the 2004 Olympic Trials, and later won the 100m bronze medal at the Games in Athens, where he also won a silver medal in the 4x100m relay.

Greene, 33, who will now pursue coaching and business interests, decided to hang up his spikes following a series of nagging injuries. “Injuries are every sprinter's worst nightmare, and I seem to have been constantly fighting them for the past three seasons,” Greene said. “So I have decided to retire from competing in the sport which I love and which has given me so much over this past decade.

“It is now more than 11 years since I packed my bags and, with the help of my father, drove to Los Angeles in a bid to fulfill my sprinting dreams. Never, then, would I have thought that it would be an adventure that would last so long, delivering Olympic gold medals, world titles and world records along the way. Now, though, I have reached journey's end.”

“Maurice has secured his place as one of the greatest sprinters, and greatest champions, in track history,” USATF President Bill Roe said. “He set the standard for a generation of sprinters, and he put his own stamp on events with his audience-friendly personality. We wish him well in the next phase of his career.”

The 1999 Jesse Owens Award winner, Greene was named USATF's Visa Humanitarian of the Year in 2001 in part for his work with the Maurice Greene Finish the Race Youth Foundation in his hometown of Kansas City. Following his Olympic success in Sydney in 2000, he raised tens of thousands of dollars for the United Negro College Fund through an appearance on “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.