Pain after races

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Pain after races

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  dan 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

dan

hi , I want to know how can I relief the pain that I have in the legs the day after a race, what can I do so that the pain goes away as soon as possible??
    thanks

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, the first things you can do are immediately following the race. Always do some sort of cooldown, ideally with some light running and/or walking and possibly including some stretching if you normally stretch.

Massage, even self-massage, can also help as can ice or a cold bath. An easy run the day after the race will often also help by getting the blood flowing to the muscles. Some people take anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen (Advil), but I'm not convinced they do a whole lot for you unless you're taking them at levels that you should only be doing under a doctor's supervision.

Just some ideas off the top of my head, I'm sure others will offer more ideas.

LadyFlash

After you stretch and do a cool down, you can go home and take a bath with some epson salt in the water.  Epson salt will help reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.

r-at-work

don't forget to re-hydrate & start to refuel within a half hour of the end of the race… and what the others have said…

SBSpartan

I am going to be repeating people, but it is really important to refuel as soon as you can after the race.  Also do some stretching and walk around a bit.  After a long race be sure to at least get up the next day and go for a walk.  If you can manage a light jog do that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.