partial disability – running coach

Welcome! Forums Running Forum partial disability – running coach

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Greetings All,

I’m looking for some information and based on the extensive experience of most of the posters on this forum I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Here’s the scoop:

3 years ago I had an injury that permanently damaged some nerves in my right leg. As a result, I’ve got about 40% use of my leg below the knee and no sensation in my right foot. After much trial and error I’ve figured out a way to run without killing myself and am “up to” 9:30 min/mile over a measured 10k course.

Here’s the thing…. I think I could go faster with a good coach. Has anyone ever heard of a running coach who worked with someone with a physcial limitation? Would another professional (physical therapist, etc) be more appropriate?

FWIW, my long runs are up to 18 miles (10:30 min/mile) so while I’m not a speed demon I do have a solid base and could definitely do better with some guidance.

My ultimate goal is to finish a marathon in 4:30.

Much thanks for any suggestions.

Thomas

Ed 1

Have you ever run any marathons before? The pace of your 10K will get you to a 4:14:00 so there will be a need to cut some time but not a lot. Droping your pace to about a 9 would do the trick for your ultimate goal. However, I would suggest that you train easy to finish a marathon before attempting to finish one with a specific time goal in mind. Find a very flat marathon and train to finish it. Then work towards your goal with a trainer (if you got the money). I have not heard of running trainers that specialize in those with physical limitations. Google searches might help you out if you don’t find anything here.

Anonymous

Anonymous

also try http://www.runquick.com

Another option is to go into the Link section of this website and then go into the commercial pages section that Ryan has submitted, there are other coaches listed as well. 😉

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Anonymous wrote:

Ryan
    Keymaster

I always suggest going with an on-site coach who can personally observe your workouts over going with an online coach who can’t personally observe your workouts because that observation is a big part of good coaching and something that just can’t be done, no matter how honest you are with yourself and how descriptive your reports back to your coach are. In your situation, I would suggest this even more as you may not notice things that an observant coach would due to your situation. I would strongly suggest checking with local running clubs and schools and see if there are any coaches in your area who would be willing to help you out.

I do still think that you would be best off with a coach. It’s quite possible that you should also consider working with a physical therapist or an athletic trainer but you have to realize that these people do not know nearly as much as a coach about training for distance running. Their jobs are to rehab people from injuries or prevent injuries, not train runners for marathons. Given your situation, it could potentially be very appropriate to have two or three people working together to balance your training for the marathon with making sure you don’t cause further injury.

Anonymous

Thanks you all for your suggestions and ideas.

Ed – I do have a marathon picked out – it’s a flat, fast course and I’ve got until Feb 19, 2005 to get ready. (FYI, it’s the Myrtle Beach Marathon – http://www.mbmarathon.com) As it will be my first, I agree that it’s better to plan on finishing rather than finishing in a certain time. At least I know that intellectually. 😉

Ryan – Yup, an onsite coach is pretty much a requirement in my case. The trick is finding someone – hence my question. I hadn’t thought of checking with the school…. Ideally, I think your suggestion of having a “team” approach is the ultimate solution and probably what I’ll try. My medical insurance will pay for the PT – all I need to do is find the appropriate person to coach me.

Guest: http://www.magpie.com doesn’t bring up anything about running that I can find…

Thanks again!

Thomas

Anonymous

my point exactly on the magpie website …… 😉

A couple of options:

1) Head to the USATF site to see if they list their coaches

2) contact the US Paralympic Committee in Colorado Springs to see if anyone there can assist you

3) While an onsite coach is better, consider contacting Lisa Rainsberger at http://www.traininggoals.com. In addition to be an excellent runner (she was the last American women to win Boston), Lisa has been coaching for years and I know she coached some Paralympians.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Let’s not start trolling here, that is not welcome. I know that the anonymous posts in this thread were all made by the same person. I also have plenty of reason to believe I know who this person is. Let’s take the high road and show some respect. If this continues, it will be dealt with.

For those with a short memory, I have been the victim of anonymous trolling and I don’t want to see anyone else, no matter how much I like or dislike the person, go through what I went through. Let’s show a bit more respect for others here than people do in some other places. Keep your personal issues out of public forums and let’s discuss running here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.