Pfitz plan & previous low mpw person–24 or 18 weeks (lo

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Pfitz plan & previous low mpw person–24 or 18 weeks (lo

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CArunner 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

CArunner

I know you guys are totally otu of my league, but I respect your judgement and your accumulated knowledge. Perhaps you can help a novice like myself. I posted this in another forum but have not gotten much response.

This is long but I figure a little background is neccessary.

I am thinking about starting the Pfitz 24 week plan next week for the NYC marathon.

Here is my weekly mileage going back to the 1st week of Jan. The LA marathon was the week of 3/1-3/7, so there is a taper and then reverse taper in there.

1/5-1/11

1/12-1/18—-33

1/19-1/25—-20

1/26-2/1

2/2-2/8

2/9-2/15

2/16-2/22—-22

2/23-2/29—-21

3/1-3/7

30.2 (LA Marathon Week)

3/8-3/14

3/15-3/211—12.5

3/22-3/28—-25

3/29-4/4

4/5-4/11

4/12-4/18—-9

4/19-4/25—-7

4/26-5/2

5/3-5/9

5/10-5/16—-20

5/17-5/23—-35

As some more background, I also ran Chicago in October for my first marathon. I tried to be extremely conservative with both plans and averaged about 25 MPW for both training periods. 3 years ago, after I had been running for about 2 years, I trained foolishly for the NYC (probably doing to much too soon & too much concrete)and was told I had a stress fracture in my foot which wiped out the marathon.

The same foot began to bother me (in the same place) training for Chicago (an ortho doc told me it was not a stress fracture but probably tendons–I use a “superfeet” orthotic now), so I cut back drastically, resulting in the low mpw. The orthotic seems to work great since I had no issues in training for LA.

My question is, do you think I have enough of a base to start the 24 week plan or should I continue doing more 30+ weeks and do the 18 week plan?

I’m feeling like I should be ok starting the 24 week plan but I’m obviously new to this and want to take the best approach.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Incidentally, my time for both Chicago & LA was 4:15. I’m hoping for some significant improvement with an increase in mileage but want to be smart about it.

Thanks.

Anonymous

I too have been logging in the miles. I got a software log for my Pocket PC from eleproducts.com Its called ActiveRunnerLOG…..this thing is a life saver! It was like, 10$ and its easy to use and no crap. Doing the Music Marathon in CA next month. I may not run well, but at least I know my training was on track.

Anonymous

Start the plan but adjust the earlier mileage down a bit and just slowly bring it up to the listed mileage. Listen to your body – feel it out. The ten percent rule is more of a guidline (like the Pirate code) than it is law. If you are feeling great increase slightly quicker over a number of weeks. As long as you get a good portion of the training at the listed miles you’ll do well.

It sounds as if your really trying to get back into the game. If that is the case – then treat the first marathon back as a need to finish then gear up to get the PRs. (personal records).

Zeke

CArunner,

I think you can “get by” on 40 mpw for a marathon. I wouldn’t want to run one on anything less. I can’t even imagine doing one on 25 mpw.

My question is, do you think I have enough of a base to start the 24 week plan or should I continue doing more 30+ weeks and do the 18 week plan?

To answer your question, I don’t thing there’s much difference between starting the 24-week plan now or doing base training for 6 more weeks, then following the 18-week plan. As long as you spend those 6 weeks base training, you should be okay. However, if you just kind of go through the motions without any plan, then you’d probably be better off with the 24-week plan.

For example, if you graphed the data from 3/8 to 5/23, you’d see a line that bounces all around. With 6 weeks to go before starting the program, I’d shoot for a 2-week ramp-up, 1-week recovery, 2-week ramp-up, 1-week recovery, then start the 18-week program. Something like 35, 40, 25, 40, 45, 30… However, if you wanted to follow the 24-week program, I think you’d be fine.

What plan have you followed in the past? Just curious because looking at your build-up to LA, it seems like you could have done more mileage. You went 28, 33, then it looks like you took a cut-back week to 20. That’s fine, but then you came back with 31, 19, 35. That would have been a great time to get 3 weeks of high-30s to low-40s before tapering.

I’m hoping for some significant improvement with an increase in mileage but want to be smart about it.

If you can following any of Pfitz’s programs you’ll take a huge chunk of time off those 4:15s.

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts. The idea of starting the 24 week but scaling it back a bit if neccessary is not bad idea.

Zeke, I totally appreciate your analysis. As for which plan I followed, I kind of created my own from a combination of Bob Glover and Jeff Galloway (pre-walking phase). Some of the low mileage weeks were the result of traveling which makes it hard to get my runs in.

It also helps to think about things on a week by week basis. I typically tend to think about my total mileage for the month and try not to have a massive increase from month to month. But a week to week approach seems to make more sense.

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.