Pick the Virgin London Marathon men’s winner and runner-up

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Pick the Virgin London Marathon men’s winner and runner-up

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Andrew A.

Late notice, this one will be up for just one day. 

List finishing order in a response if you feel confident enough.  8)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow. What a stacked field. I'm going to see if I can repeat my 0fer from Boston.

It's hard to bet against Tadese after his recent half. If I were going to bet against him, though I see at least a handful of guys who it could be, I'd feel most comfortable with Wanjiru.

Order? Heads, Tadese. Tails, Wanjiru. Grabbing a dime……….it came up tails. Tadese shows he peaked early and Wanjiru pulls away somewhere after mile 24.

ed
    Participant

Is this going to be streamed?

My pick is Wanjiru.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It will be on UniversalSports it looks like. I apparently don't know their website well enough to know whether or not it will be available for free. I did find that it is scheduled to be shown at 8:00 Eastern.

grasshopper

Tadese slays the giant, Wanjiru.  😀

I expect London's webcast would be free in the U.S.

Andrew A.

Tadese is the hot commodity this spring, Kebede plays bridesmaid unless Tadese and Wanjiru both self-destruct.

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

My best pick of all 4 for London was a 7th place finish. Maybe I should stop picking and just sit back and watch. 😛

Andrew, good call on Kebede.

Andrew A.

Ah, it is just for fun!  8)  I recall when I happened to correctly pick the women's Olympic marathon team back at the '04 trials, many people thought it was incredible because nobody else picked Rhines, though many of course had Kastor and De Reuck.  I just had a gut feeling that someone of Rhines's talent and proven ability was simply due for a really good marathon, nothing more than that.  I had a similar feeling about Hall for last Monday, that he was simply due to have a really good race — by most objective accounts, he did even if it did not result in a win.  Kebede is just a really smart racer, I recall that starting when he just got past Merga in Beijing to get bronze.  Tadese might need another rep or two to get the hang of the marathon distance in terms of having a better feel for how his body reacts when he executes moves at certain points in races. 

The Science of Sport guys break down London: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/04/london-2010-live-post.html

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, I agree. I recall having some good predictions in the past myself. Sometimes, you get it right. Sometimes, you don't. It helps to be following the sport closely enough to know who is running well and who might have an edge but races at the elite level are unpredictable. I am just having fun in the fact that I failed spectacularly in my predictions twice within a week.

Tadese is still a heck of a runner. Maybe he peaked a bit early, maybe he just needs some more marathon experience, maybe some of both. Either way, I'm quite sure he will have better marathons in the future.

Andrew A.

Right, and Yamauchi may have peaked early (along with travel issues) as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.