Police wait for marathon to pay up

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Police wait for marathon to pay up

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

GTF

With all the choices of races out there it's a wonder to me why anyone would decide to register for anything Devne manages. I might also be naive but why would USATF even consider to sanction a Devine race? Surely they know of all the past problems.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think a lot of people are simply clueless about all that is going on with Devine and just want to run some overhyped event. It's unfortunate that people don't get to know more about who they are supporting.

Does the USATF in any way sanction these events? If so, they should pull any kind of sanctioning that they are legally allowed to.

Here's a portion of the article.

Chris Erickson, office manager for the U.S. Association of Track and Field-Utah, said Devine submitted their sanctioning paperwork and it was submitted to the national office on April 1 but may not have been processed yet. She said that part of the sanctioning contract requires race organizers to pay out prize money as advertised.

“If athletes have trouble, and they come to us, then we intervene and try to help with that,” she said. “We got involved in some (complaints) the first year, but we haven't heard about any problems since.”

She said she knew nothing about the issues with security.

Utah Sports Commission director Jeff Robbins, a partner of the Salt Lake Marathon, said the Sports Commission supports groups that have an economic impact, which means the event brings money from outside Utah, and helps build the image of the state.

“We help use sports to promote the state,” he said. “One of the stipulations is to be in good financial standing.”

Robbins had dealt with a lot of media inquries about the finanical dealings of Devine Racing, but said they don't get involved in individual agreements or contracts.
    —-

Certainly there have been other race management companies that have run into problems, but I don't know any have created so many and received so much bad press. I'm sure neither the USATF nor local government wants the bad press resulting from a cancelled marathon. I'm betting on a compromise or bailout.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That's what I get for scanning the article too quickly (these articles on Devine seem to get redundant after a while).

Agreed. I can't recall ever hearing about a race management company that has had so many problems. Of course, from everything I've seen, it takes quite a bit of work to screw up as many times as Devine has. As for what will happen, I'm not going to bet on a bailout. I'm sure USATF knows about Devine and would like as much as anyone to see Devine go quietly into the night. If the USATF helps in any way, I'm betting included in any deal would be a sale of the race to a more competent race management company. If the Utah Sports Commission helps in any way, they would at least be wise to do the same.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ahh, yes. That lawsuit. I believe GTF shared a link to that on here, as well as a PDF of the actual complaint. I read most of the complaint and it was just shocking. This guy needs to be put out of business for the good of everyone involved.

r-at-work

there was an issue with the DC marathon (not the National Marathon that currently exists and is GREAT)… the guy ran an inaugural, then about two weeks before the second year's race he cancelled adn it turned out that the only thing he had paid for was the city permit, the rest of the money was just 'gone' and then they found out that he had a prior conviction (I think) of fraud as the head of another small corporation… so it does happen..

Run

Sadly, I just found out that my hometown marathon, the NJ Marathon (which I'm not running this year) is now a Devine event.  Too bad.

GTF

Unfortunately too many people are blasé, dismissive, or just plain oblivious.  Usually these are people who care little at all for the sport, they are really only in it for themselves.  'Running parasites' might be an apt term.  I cannot fathom how or why any individual or community with even a shred of integrity and dignity would ever want to be associated in any way with this sham outfit.

Sadly, I just found out that my hometown marathon, the NJ Marathon (which I'm not running this year) is now a Devine event.  Too bad.

I would not presume to know what you would want to do, but if this company came into my community I would want to defend it against Devine.  There is plenty of ammo that has been presented just in this forum to make a case with local running clubs, law enforcement agencies, and sponsors to be dutifully dubious of what may come of their association and support of any race put on by Devine.  Spread the word, help keep con artists out of your town and local running scene.

GTF

there was an issue with the DC marathon…

I believe that was 2003 and the real reason the race was cancelled was because the DC Police and FBI revoked permits citing security concerns. The permits were pulled on Wednesday, the day after the tobacco farmer drove his tractor into one of the reflecting pools and held a stand-off with security officials. Another reason was the impending war with Iraq, which was anticipated at any time. That started the following Wedensday.

The cancellation forced organizers into bankruptcy. During court proceedings, the organizers presented the documentation related to the permits. The evidence was not disputed by DC or federal officials. Some runners recouped their registration fees by contacting their credit card company and having the charge cancelled. The rest, I believe, were awarded $18 or so from the bankruptcy court.

Andrew A.

Andrew A.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.