Poll: What is the most qualifying factor in a good run?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Poll: What is the most qualifying factor in a good run?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  stealthycat 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

stealthycat

I am trying to start a poll, but I haven’t done it before, so please bear with me. 😛

A. Rest

B. Focus

C. Fuel

D. Overall Mental outlook (positive/negative)

E. Shoes (ha ha)

Anne

All are important elements but for me it’s overall mental outlook. My body can go through the motions but for it to be a quality run I need to have a positive frame of mind. That in turn helps with my focus.

Having said that, there have been times when I’ve headed out the door with a poor attitude & somewhere along the way it’s turned into a great run.

Ryan
    Keymaster

F: Previous training.

Of those listed, I’d have to say something like B or D but I consider those related.

stealthycat
    Ryan wrote:
    F: Previous training.

Of those listed, I’d have to say something like B or D but I consider those related.

oooh, I knew I was missing something. Good one.

r-at-work

yep… I think Ryan has a great point… but then part of my mental outlook has always been being able to say… “I’ve put in the training to get me to this point, now I get it done”… and that seems to be for races as well as track work or long runs… as long as the days workout fits into the plan it should be do-able…

on the other hand I’ve crashed when I overlooked/forgot the fuel/hydrate aspect… and occasionally health/weather issues have bought me down…

good poll…I’ll have to check back later on this…

-Rita

Bart

I voted for fuel, not to only include food and drink, but also sleep. I find that when I’m struggling in my running, it’s often because I’m not getting enough sleep.

Mental outlook and attitude are important; but I find that if I’m properly fueled, a good run will help me to develop a positive attitude even if I started the run without one.

Bart

Ed 1

I believe that focus is a major factor – the human mind can convince the body of things never thought possible.

Run

I have to agree with Ryan, if youve been putting in the miles, then good runs happen more often than not.

ScottP

I’d say mental attitude + consistancy. Part of the mental aspect is being able to get through a rough period during the run where you feel either physically fatigued (eg: gone anaerobic on a tough hill) or are getting negative thoughts (eg: 3/4 thru a long run). Knowing you have “run through” these patches before helps.

Over the years I’ve had periods where a series of training runs were crappy due to staleness or injury. Remembering that I have come back from this before is key to motivating me to continue.

One of the attractions of running is never knowing when you will have a “great ” running experience. You can only make sure you have adequate rest and nutrition and then get out the door.

Scott

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.