post marathon running

Welcome! Forums Running Forum post marathon running

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sueruns 10 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

sueruns

After reading two previous posts, I started thinking about post marathon running and why sometimes you are beat to a pulp and sometimes you can mow the lawn.  What is the factor of the two extremes?

I'm thinking that the mental overcomes the physical, even post race.  After not sleeping for 2 days for one marathon, I actually ran some more and then got up and ran the next day.  I didn't feel like I ran a marathon at all.  But it was the marathon that I had reached my goal after years of trying. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm sure the mental aspect plays a role. Also, factors such as the course, conditions, how the race was run, and previous races play a role.

When I ran Lakefront in 2002, I was battling some difficult conditions, I ran what was probably the smartest race I could given the conditions but I did run myself into the ground (it was that or end up by myself, I think I made the right choice in staying with someone as long as possible) before just surviving the final few miles, and I was running my first. These added up to a long recovery time.

When I ran Chicago in 2005, I got out over my head but I quickly adjusted for that and, when the wheels started coming off a bit near the end, didn't try to force my way through as long as I could. I instead focused on adjusting again and not pushing through like I did in Lakefront. I also had very favorable conditions and I had been through the marathon grind before. The day after Chicago, I could barely hold myself back.

I actually was very happy with the results of both so I don't think the mental had much to do with it. However, I think those three specific race day factors (conditions, race strategy, previous marathon experience) made a big difference in my recoveries, as I'm sure other factors like course do.

danaschulz

I also believe the mental aspect plays a huge role.  With mowing the lawn after the marathon I was still on my runners high (even after the 2 hour drive home).  I also think it helped that I planned my splits before the race and didn't go too crazy in the beginning.  I knew what I was getting myself into before I even started (the poor people around me must have thought I was crazy when I verbally told myself to “slow down”)  Now was mowing the lawn the smartest thing to do – – – ummmm, no, but with the potential of rain and the 14th month old still at grandmas this was really the best time to do it. 

Now ask me (and my wife) later on in the evening how I felt and I was complaining the whole time.  I was walking like a duck and had a heck of a time getting up and down to play with the little one.  And yesterday (a day after the run) I was still feeling the pain of my Sunday effort.  I typically use the stairs at work and on habit went down them yesterday.  Needless to say I was going a little slower than normal.

Now today my legs are feeling a little better; still sore, but not too bad.  I'm going to try and get back on the horse tomorrow and get a few miles in.  Generally, I would take a whole week off, but I'm doing the Madison to Chicago relay in a couple weeks and need to keep the wheels turning.  I will make sure, though, that the lawn is mowed before I do the relay, becuase I have a feeling I'll be a little more sore after that event 🙂

r-at-work

not sure how much mental factors figure for me…

1. for me what seems to be a BIG factor is how soon after my marathons I can refuel… when there is a big spread of the 'right kind' of foods I seem to bounce back quicker (fruits, pretzles, ice cream, pizza seem to help)…

2. walking the same day, even if it's right after the race is another thing that seems to help out…

3. the weather during the race itself (too cold or too hot)…seems to make things worse…

and of course I'm discounting injuries incurred during the race itself or running with less than great conditioning (as I've done that a few times)…

-Rita

WI MTP

not sure how much mental factors figure for me…

1. for me what seems to be a BIG factor is how soon after my marathons I can refuel… when there is a big spread of the 'right kind' of foods I seem to bounce back quicker (fruits, pretzles, ice cream, pizza seem to help)…

2. walking the same day, even if it's right after the race is another thing that seems to help out…

3. the weather during the race itself (too cold or too hot)…seems to make things worse…

and of course I'm discounting injuries incurred during the race itself or running with less than great conditioning (as I've done that a few times)…

I agree – Plus

*  How well hydrated I was before / during  / after
    *  How hard I pushed the last 1 mile – 3 mile – 10k of the race – I think sometimes that extra 30 sec – 1 minute cost me many days of recovery.
    *  How close to minimum marathon time I acheived.  I think the closer to best race for current fitness level I run the longer it takes to recover.

Mental – not so much for me –

-Rita

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.