Pronation control shoes and so much pounding

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Pronation control shoes and so much pounding

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Manwich56 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Manwich56

I am a flat footed runner.  Or I have arches but they fall down when I stand (Fallen arches). So my feet fall way inward.  Everyone and what I read all say for those kind of feet its best to get pronation control shoes.  Except the problem is I feel like I pound so much in these shoes.  I am a mid foot striker.  So it feels like there is so much pounding when I mid foot strike in these kind of shoes.  And it seems to take a toll on my shins no matter how easy I run.  Its kind of weird but to me it seems like the less shoe I have the less pounding I feel. 

I have no problems when I run barefoot on the street (no pounding. my steps are virtually soundless).  However I can not run further than a mile right now barefoot (due to playing it safe) and my feet are not adapted enough to run on rocky trails.  So My question is…do you think shoes made for people with high arches might work for me despite me having the exact opposite?  Do they seem to work more for people who mid-foot strike?  Anyone run in the opposite shoes for their feet and have no problems?  It seems like so many shoes are made for people that heel strike.  The problem is to me it seems like the big heel gets in the way of my mid-foot striking which probably causes the extra pounding. 

Also, any shoe suggestions for front-foot striking would be greatly apreciated. 

Please let me know when you can

Thank you 

sueruns

although, I have the opposite problem (medium-high arch, supinate, wear on the very outside edge of a neutral shoe), I have come to the same conclusions as you.  I go for minimalist shoe and don't try to correct myself to be neutral.  I'm also a midfoot/forefoot striker.  The more I messed around with corrections, the more messed up I become.  Definitely, I describe the same feelings as you when I go for a heavier, stability shoe.  It feels like “Bam, bam, bam…..to my arch”

The only problem I see for you going with shoes for “high arches” and midfoot strike….is finding them. 
    I'd suggest trying Nike Pegasus, but the last pair I had was a piece of junk, same with the NB 825s.  I'm finding the Mizuno wave rider decent, but a little low riding—although that may be a plus for your arches, if you foot is a little on the narrow side Mizuno wave precisions could be a decent shoe for you.

GTF

Nevermind the grammatical error(s):
    http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=10706&c=358
    Suggestion?  Get thee to a reputable running specialty store.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I had a teammate in college who had the flattest arches I've ever seen. Still, he ran completely on the outside of his feet. Have you verified through the wear on an old pair of shoes that you are in fact pronating heavily?

In the end, regardless of all the “rules”, we have to end up getting the shoes that feel right. If the shoes don't feel right, chances are they are not right and they might create more problems than they resolve. If motion control shoes don't feel right, ignore the “rule” and try some other shoes. If a minimal shoe might be right, consider a lightweight trainer or even a somewhat beefy racer. Maybe the issue you're experiencing is simply a matter of your need to let nature do its thing and not let man made technology get in its way.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Fascinating. While I was typing up my post, GTF posted a link to an article where the Shoe Guy basically said the same thing in a more verbose (and probably clear) way as I was attempting to say.

Manwich56

Great replies.  And thank you for the link.  I got the answers I was looking for.  To answers ryans question.  I actually see a little wear and tear on the mid upper area on the outside of the shoe.  But at the same time a little on the inside.  So perhaps my foot strikes on the outside then rolls a little inward when pushing off?  I do kind of see and feel my foot strike more on the outside when running.  Interesting.

Thank you all for your wisdom. 

rhobbs31

My brother has the flattest feet I have ever seen – but he cannot wear motion control shoes.  In fact he wears-ironically-Nike Pegasus 06.  He is a rare case where the basic shoe buying guide doesn't guide.  

Now if my brother were to go to Fleet Feet Sports or some other running store – they would not inspect his arch – but rather watch him run in a pair of neutral shoes and determine what was best for him based on is strike and degree of pronation.  I suggest that all new runners go to a Fleet Feet like store and get advice on the type of shoe they should wear – and then struggle to stay in a brandd/model they are comfortable with as new versions are made.  

If the guide does not guide, and Fleet Feet is not an option, then a runner is stuck in the expensive trial and error method of finding the right shoe.  

I agree with Ryan, GTF, and the shoe guy – foot type, freindly advice, and guides do not matter if they don't get you in the right shoe.  

Ryan
    Keymaster

Now if my brother were to go to Fleet Feet Sports or some other running store – they would not inspect his arch – but rather watch him run in a pair of neutral shoes and determine what was best for him based on is strike and degree of pronation.

Good to hear Fleet Feet does things that way. As I mention in this column I wrote about selecting the right shoes, analyzing your foot strike makes much more sense than just checking your arch because of the exceptions.

Manwich, if you check the link I offer above, you'll see that I'm thinking more of the midsole/outsole wear of your shoes. The upper will wear in sometimes unusual ways but the midsole/outsole wear will tell you a lot about your form and what type of shoe you need.

rehammes

If, as I understand, you have arches, but they collapse upon impact, you may want to check the strength of your posterior-tibial tendon.  This runs from about mid-calf, around your heel and ultimately supports your arch.  If the tendon is weak, the arch can collapse and result in a line of debilitating injuries from unintentional stride compensation.  It may not be the shoe at all.

denton

…..it all depends…it's all about degrees of rotation…u can have a person with the flattest feet , but there isn't much rotation in their navicular, subtalar joint, etc….besides look at the african's feet….kenny b and the lot of those guys have flat feet (as well research has shown that they tend to have flat feet when landing compared to many other runners)…..but there also tend to have wider feet (i'll assume some mechanical issue where they spread the forces around)

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://africa.reuters.com/newsimages/2007/03/22/tn_2007-03-22T151203Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_OZASP-ATHLETICS-CROSS-COUNTRY-20070322.jpg&imgrefurl=http://africa.reuters.com/sport/news/usnBAN253788.html%3Fsrc%3D032207_1208_FEATURES_africa&h=238&w=129&sz=10&hl=en&start=37&um=1&tbnid=Qin75gLocFLKZM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=59&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbekele%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.