Race Day Warm Up Suggestions?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race Day Warm Up Suggestions?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Husker 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Husker

Hi,

Just wondering what is a typical pre-race warm up for competive runners? I usually jog around a bit and throw in a couple of sprints in an unstructure, hap-hazard fashion. Not sure that I’m really maximizing my fitness on race day basically. Specificially, I’m wondering what some of you do before a 5K, 5 miler, 10K, half marathon.

Any tips?

Anne

I don’t know if I fall under the competitive runner catagory but here’s what I do before a 5K or 5 mile race:

20 minutes before the race I warm up with an easy run then do stride repeats, easy jog back. I keep the repeats fairly short in distance, using telephone poles or blocks as measurement.

It’s not an all out sprint but an acceleration then an easing back. I really focus on my form, keeping things relaxed & smoooth.

I follow that up with some light stretching before I line up.

I’ll be interested to hear what others do pre race.

Ryan
    Keymaster

This is something that is very different for a lot of runners. The most important thing is to find something that you are comfortable with. Also, the longer the race, the shorter your warmup will probably be. If you’re racing a mile, you need to be ready at the gun to run very hard. If you’re racing a marathon, you can use the early miles to complete your warmup.

As for me in the 5k-10k distance range, I usually start about 35 minutes before the race. I start with 10-12 minutes easy running, then stretch and change into my racing shoes, as well as taking off any warmup clothes I’m not going to wear to the start line. I then do a bit more easy running toward the start line, where I spend the rest of the time doing a little more stretching, some easy form drills, and a few race pace strides.

stormcatcher

I certainly don’t consider myself “competitive” but I do a 15 minute run, then stretch, change into my racing shoes, and jog around until the start (usually about 5-10 more minutes). After the race, I do a 20 minute cooldown.

I don’t really stretch. For a 5k, I run very easy till I’m sweating and my muscles are warm. This is usually 15 – 20 minutes depending on how cold it is outside. I do some striders at race pace. I lose the warm ups except for maybe a hat and gloves and head to the start line. Throw on the flats, one or two more striders and I’m ready.

Ed 1

I never did a warm up until I ran (behind) the guys at Jingle Bell this past December. I just did a little light jog with them at a slow easy pace – stretched very little and had a great 10K. I will start to experiment with different warm-ups to find the best fit for me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.