Race Participation Increase Bears No Positive Effect on Competition

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race Participation Increase Bears No Positive Effect on Competition

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I saw that and thought of our discussions on here about participation and competitive strength. I think he hit the nail on the head when he pointed out there's a difference between participation and competition. Participation numbers are skyrocketing but the numbers of those competing are, if anything, gradually dwindling.

ed
    Participant

It really does come down to the competing versus completing.  That single letter “L” makes a big difference.  Many races are becoming a “bucket list item” for the masses – which is of course part of the direction that races are moving towards in becoming “Destination” races.

We can discuss the ideal, but it always comes down to a need to make money or at least break even and for that you need the masses.

Ryan
    Keymaster

We can discuss the ideal, but it always comes down to a need to make money or at least break even and for that you need the masses.

Keeping in mind that the masses also have expensive expectations, that could be debatable. I've seen races break even or turn a profit with very low entry fees and no frills for the masses. I've seen others end up in the red due to adding frills in an attempt to appeal to the masses they thought would help them make more money. Not saying that's always how it works out but things do work both ways.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.