Race report!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race report!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Run 11 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Run

Today was my local Five mile Turkey Trot.  I finished my 17th cycle of chemo last night and got some decent sleep, but I wasnt feeling too great when I got up, I was hoping it might be just nerves.  By the time I got warmed up I was feeling a little better, but still not great, but I usually don't feel great before a race so I wasn't too concerned.

I went through the first mile in 5:39, the lead pack was ahead and at this point I was solo.  But right after the first mile, two guys I know came up on me and we started working together, taking turns leading to break the wind, which was pretty stiff when you ran into it (we were 5, 6, 7.)  We went through 2 in 5:49, still feeling good.  The third mile was half tail wind and half head wind, but working in the little pack really helped, and we cruised through 3 in 5:42.  Now going through 3 miles @17 minutes in a five mile race is new territory for me, but I was feeling solid, so I pushed on.  Our group slowed a bit on the 4th mile, which is weird because most of it had a tail wind, slowest mile at 5:51.  After mile four its every man for himself.  One guy opened up a small gap on me, and I did the same to the other guy, so we were strung out, and coming down the home stretch I didn't have enough to surge for fifth, I think he got me by maybe 5 seconds, but still my last mile was the fastest of the day at 5:32!  So official time was 28:35, 6th place overall, more than a minute faster than last year at the same race, and a PR by about 45 seconds.

I was really happy with this race, especially since I haven't been doing much fast stuff lately, just logging miles; its good to know there's still some speed in there.

Tim

Ryan
    Keymaster

Incredible. What else is there to say? Great job, you continue to inspire and amaze.

GTF

Excellent.  8)

r-at-work

great job, just don't tell too many people about the chemo or they might think that's what made you so fast… 😉
    -Rita

Tim, congrats on a great run. Way to finish strong. It always feels great when things fall into place during a race. Keep up the good work. Ski

SBSpartan

I can't remember the last time I ran a 5:32 mile (yes I can it was just a long time ago).  That is awesome.

Keep the reports coming.  They are fun to read.

(I will try to put one together after my race on Thursday)

WI MTP

Great Race – Great finish

Do you think your group of 3 ended up a  little slower mile 4 with wind at back because everyone was getting mentally ready to race it home hard the last mile?

I'm glad I checked in today, I was looking for a little inspiration to get my butt in gear with training.

ed
    Participant

All I can do is shake my head in amazement and wonder.

Run

great job, just don't tell too many people about the chemo or they might think that's what made you so fast… 😉
    -Rita

Funny that you mentioned that, my wife said the same thing 🙂

Do you think your group of 3 ended up a  little slower mile 4 with wind at back because everyone was getting mentally ready to race it home hard the last mile? (I dont know how to do two quotes :-[

I know I was, and the guy I beat probably was too, but the guy who beat us both may have just been cruising getting ready to kick when we hit the fourth mile.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.