Race Report!!!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race Report!!!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 12 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

Well my first race of the season – a half marathon. As for results – lets just say a kid that just turned 12 beat me. But barely! Actually I thought that the race was pretty tough – some good hills and Lakefront wind, narrow course, some puddles and mud slicks. OK – no more excuses. Actually there are none needed. I ran a great race 😀

Dont really know my first mile since I goofed up the watch. Mile 2 was completed 6:50 miles 3 about the same. After that I lost track but know that I was keeping it under a 7:00 minute mile pace. Tried like crazy to pass that little kid – every time I started to make a move he responded – dang -it. Hung with him to the end he only got me by a couple of seconds and I PR’ed in 1:28:1x a new PR by 14:1x!!!

Could have done better but only by a handful of seconds. On to tomorrow’s 17 mile training run. 😉

Double

Ed,

Nice job, great time. You looked good. I was the first/last sentry on the course. Did you hear me yell at you? That kid was dynamite!

GTF

Well done, improvement is always encouraging and hopefully it will continue.

Run

Nice job Ed, and dont sweat the 12 year old, last year I got beat by an 11 year old girl in a 10 mile, but she ran 59!!

Ed 1

I thought that was you Double – I went back up there afterwards but I did not see you. Oh well – thanks for the yell – I did kick it up a notch at your encouragement. I still cannot believe a 14:17 PR.

Bart

Ed, Congrats on the PR. It should give you a nice confidence boost and, hopefully, some motivation as to what consistent training can do for you.

Bart

Zeke
    Ed 1 wrote:
    I PR’ed in 1:28:1x a new PR by 14:1x!!!

Ed, if you’re not careful people are going to start believing that you can break 3 hours. Seriously, your improvement over the last 4 months has been remarkable. You couldn’t even hold the pace you ran on Saturday for 5 miles – now you’re holding it for 13.

Congrats. Keep it up.

Ed – Well done!! It’s not everyday you can knock 14 minutes off your PR.

Ed 1

Thanks all – For any one reading this it is due to building a good base and vastly improving my consistency. I still have a ways to go in that area but this has been so encouraging – how can I fail!! Bide my time and I will succeed. Patience is still tough for me especially after these great gains – I MUST continue and even increase my patience and consistency if I am to reach a difficult goal. Again – thanks to all for the support, encouragement and kind words to keep me settled down and improving my consistency.

MothAudio

Congrats Ed! When did you run your previous P.R.? That’s a lot of time to knock off. Great story about the young kid, what are they feeding them? Never seen anything like that myself. But then again, when was the last time I ran that fast?!

Continued success…

MikE

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ed, good job. It goes without saying that this is a solid improvement. Now that you have realized the importance of establishing a base and establishing consistency in your training, I would just like to reiterate the importance of patience. It’s easy to see those early results and want more and more, sooner rather than later. It should be obvious that you aren’t going to keep removing 14 minute chunks of time off your PRs. Unfortunately, the better you get, the more patience and hard work you need to get to that next level. If you suffer a lapse in patience, your consistency can go out the window and your times end up all over the place.

Not trying to rain on your parade. That’s a solid PR and you should be proud of your progress so far, while of course looking on to bigger and better things. I’ve just seen PRs like this turn into the beginning of a roller coaster ride and would hate to see that happen to you just when you’re beginning to put the pieces together.

Ed 1

I hear you Ryan – I hear my coach as well. I will just keep putting in the miles and run the paces at the top of the range that I am given – as long as it feels right. Now my question is – how do I maintain the pace that I am at yet do double the distance?

I know that more base training with more long runs and more mid-length runs will be part of the answer. Diet is probably an issue for me – I still have some doughnuts and Code Red Mountain Dew for breakfast every morning. Gotta cut that out 🙄

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    Now my question is – how do I maintain the pace that I am at yet do double the distance?

You don’t initially. This is just like the issue I was having about December. I was not following my old advice and I was trying to build volume while maintaining pace. Finally, in January, I woke up and quit worrying about maintaining pace. Once I got to the level I wanted to be at, the pace quickly came back and even exceeded what I was doing at lower weekly mileage levels because I was more fit. A few weeks ago, I had a 124 mile week at paces I was struggling to hold for 40-50 mile weeks in December. Last week, I made probably my final significant increase and my pace dropped back again. I’d be willing to bet that, by the end of this month, my paces are right back to at least where they were a few weeks ago.

Ed 1

More and more and more and more and more and more miles. My question for you and especially Zeke my coach is – should I not be holding a pace that is quicker than my old “easy” pace, and a LT that is slighter quiker than my old LT etc… ? My guess is not initially – that I should build distance then start increasing pace. I am running a marathon in Spring but my goal is for Lakefront – time is running short for me. But I must remain patient.

Man I hope that some readers are following my transition from hard headed, impatient, no base having, inconsistent self into the more consistent, base building, biding my time and heeding the advice of my coach and forumites self. There is real improvement that is hard to argue against. If I had been this way earlier I could have saved many months off due to injury and total inconsistency.

Zeke
    Ed 1 wrote:
    should I not be holding a pace that is quicker than my old “easy” pace, and a LT that is slighter quiker than my old LT etc… ?

Ed, I think you are already running quicker paces. Remember all my emails and posts that questioned your pacing and whether or not your treadmill was calibrated? I did that because I thought you were running too fast, based on your 43:12 in December. However, you’re not in 43:12 shape any more. You’re probably in sub-40 shape or 30 seconds per mile faster. So naturally, the pace for all your runs will drop accordingly.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    My question for you and especially Zeke my coach is – should I not be holding a pace that is quicker than my old “easy” pace, and a LT that is slighter quiker than my old LT etc… ?

A question I could throw back your direction is why you are worried about LT pace when increasing miles but I don’t know what Zeke has you doing and I never want to get in the middle of a coach/athlete relationship. Personally, I haven’t even touched LT pace in months, which I’m sure will make for an interesting first one or two races but that’s what tune-up races are for. As for easy pace, my advice is to keep it easy. I know, that’s entering levels where you need an advanced physiology degree to comprehend the message. 😉 For most people, that means slowing down during the initial mileage build up before speeding up once the mileage levels off and fitness gains are made.

Run

Something else to think about Ed; for me, the paces just dropped on their own. I didnt have to push it to make it happen, it wasnt like one day I just said, ok, my easy pace is now going to be 25 seconds faster than it used to be; it was more like one day, then the next day, etc, I realized that I was running faster with less effort. Maybe thats just me though. If your patient and you put in the miles, things will happen, look at your improvements so far.

Zeke
    Run wrote:
    for me, the paces just dropped on their own. I didnt have to push it to make it happen, it wasnt like one day I just said, ok, my easy pace is now going to be 25 seconds faster than it used to be; it was more like one day, then the next day, etc, I realized that I was running faster with less effort. Maybe thats just me though.

I agree, it shouldn’t be a conscious effort to run faster – it just sort of happens.

Ed 1

Gotcha – I’ll just let it happen. Patience my young padawin apprentice. If you train right – speed will come.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Run wrote:
    Something else to think about Ed; for me, the paces just dropped on their own. I didnt have to push it to make it happen, it wasnt like one day I just said, ok, my easy pace is now going to be 25 seconds faster than it used to be; it was more like one day, then the next day, etc, I realized that I was running faster with less effort. Maybe thats just me though.

It’s not just you. That’s exactly how things are supposed to happen. If you try to push to make it happen, you will actually be counterproductive and hurting your overall results.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.