Race report: Deer Run (first race in 6 months)

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race report: Deer Run (first race in 6 months)

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Obviously, based on the subject, it's not hard to tell I've been out of the racing season for a while. With selling a house in a tough market for sellers and building a new house, I felt like I couldn't give the focus I expect of myself to a race so I just sat out. Also, it's probably not that hard to guess that my training wasn't exactly up to par during that time. In fact, I got myself pretty out of shape.

After moving into the new house and getting the old house sold, of course, there are still a lot of things to do but I did manage to settle things down in the past month or so and get my training back on track. After three consecutive weeks of 70+ miles, I decided I had enough of a base to at least get my feet wet again. You have to start somewhere, right? Well, why not in Brown Deer for the Deer Run 10K?

This past week was interesting, to say the least. To keep things short, I came into the race feeling pretty beat up even after trying to back off a bit. I was feeling quite tight, to the point that pre-race I was a bit concerned about pulling a muscle. Well, the good news is that didn't happen.

Anyway, race day. Lisa and Shayla went out for a morning walk and I was told to be out of the house before they got back so Shayla wouldn't get upset seeing me leave without her. So, I ended up leaving the house earlier than intended but that wasn't a big deal to me. I'd rather get to a race early than late.

I got to the race, registered, and headed back to the car. By about an hour before the race, I was glad I got there early because it started raining pretty hard as people were walking out to register. It didn't take long and the rain lightened up. By the time I was warming up, the rain was over. I warmed up and felt that stiffness. I was planning to try out the idea bounced around here of only doing range of motion exercises pre-race, no static stretching, but about 10 minutes before race time chickened out due to the amount of tightness I was feeling. I ended up doing a quick stretching routine, then a couple of strides and was as ready as the gun as I was going to be.

At the start and for the first half mile, I had this constant thought of this being a strange race. It's a 10K and 5K and I'm the kind of guy who rarely wants to take it out as fast as some people do. There are some good runners here, why is nobody wanting to take it out? There's a bit of wind but this course has so many twists and turns that we never really hit a strong headwind for a long period of time. Still, nobody is taking it out. I'm just hanging around during this time, occasionally finding myself leading the pack but generally working hard to not be in the front. We cruise through the mile mark and nobody is really asserting himself. Finally, someone did assert himself a bit and spreads out the lead pack a bit not not much. A few guys come and go seeming to think about chasing this guy down but nobody really breaks things up. Eventually, I found myself 6th in line right behind 2 other guys and decided to get myself into 4th. I made the double pass and then started my way up to 2nd and 3rd. One of the guys I just passed came with me as I worked up to the next two. I passed 3rd and was hanging just behind 2nd, actually in 4th as the guy who I passed to move into 4th passed me back. Finally, at just past the 2 mile mark I believe, the 5K runners split off, which left first and second, still very much in reach actually but the two I was most worried about, turning off. Now, it's shaping up to be a two man race. I recognized the guy I was now running against as a guy who I raced at Gary's Gallop last year. I beat him then after a 20 mile “warmup” so I should be capable of essentially just running away from this guy. Well, that's what I attempted to do.

I took the lead not long after 2 miles, attempting to do so with authority. He tried to hang with me and I was trying to drop him but he wasn't making it easy. I then told myself  I need to have at least 10-20 yards on him by the 3 mile mark. I admit, I committed the sin of looking back a few times but that told me I did have the lead I wanted before I saw the 3 mile mark. From that point on, it was just running scared. I know this guy is a good runner so, if I don't keep it up, he's going to come back on me. There were some funny things with the mile markers that made some things tricky for me. At the 3 mile marker, the guy on the lead bike looks back and tells me this is more like 3.5 miles. OK, that's good news. I'm 1/2 mile closer to the finish than I was thinking. More than a half mile later but less than 1.5 miles later, I see a 5 mile mark. That seems strange. Then, maybe around 1/4 mile later, I see a 4 mile mark. OK, this is getting strange but I ran over the final mile of the course for my warmup and I know I'm not seeing what I ran over so I know I have at least over a mile to go. Finally, we come up to another 5 mile mark that seems more right. I continue ahead and start to recognize my warmup route. OK, now I'm in my last mile and I still have a solid, probably even safe unless I blow up, lead. I work my way through a few walkers and take the second to last turn right at the 6 mile mark. I try to pick it up some coming off the turn but don't have anything left into the tank after pushing hard to build and maintain the lead for about 4 miles. The last turn and I'm just about home. Except there are walkers all over the road. No clear path through to the finish line, great. Well, I swung wide and the lead bikers did what they could to clear a path for me, at least to the point I could get some path without running people over.

In the end, my first race in 6 months leaves me still undefeated over the past 6 months. I surprised myself quite a bit, both with the first place finish and with my time of 34:50. Honestly, I was expecting something more in the 36, possibly even 37, minute range. Needless to say, I'm happy with this surprise. I feel like I'm well ahead of where I thought I was when I woke up this morning. I still have a lot of work to do but this was a great start to the 2009 racing season and gives me some great hopes for what I can look forward to for this year.

10K results
    5K results (for point of reference of who I was running with for the first 2 miles)

GTF

Nice!

cesar
    Participant

congratulations , nice job, it seems that your racing season start pretty good. did you run with a watch?

maybe if you have relied on splits you would have run 36 or 37 mins, it seems that they didn't call out splits and the mile markers were crazy  🙂

nice job

Surprising yourself with a win while achieving a good time is nice. Especially considering that pre-race you were concerned about pulling a muscle.

I'm betting that first 5 marker was for 5K. I've seen that a few times during 10Ks.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks guys.

Cesar, no watch. Had I worn a watch, I probably would have scared myself with the pace I was seeing and ended up slowing down, possibly giving away the win.

As for the mile markers, I don't know what the case was with them. I think the first “5 mile” marker was just a misplaced marker. It was only about 1/4 mile short of the 4 mile marker so it was too far in to be at 5K. My take is that the guy on the pace bike was probably wrong about the 3 mile marker being 3.5 miles, that first 5 mile marker was just a misplaced marker, and the rest were probably about right. I kind of assumed that on the course by the time I was a distance past the 4 mile marker and still knew I was over a mile from the finish but there's always a bit of uncertainty in the middle of a race when you're so focused on just running hard, your brain has shut down a bit, and you just need more than anything to get to the finish line before you run out of gas.

cameron

ryan – awesome effort

if i were a boxing promoter, i'd be arranging a match between you and dana.

cesar
    Participant

what should you do to get back to 32-33 minutes in the 10k?

rehammes

Great race Ryan!  I gather this race involves your favorite condition- fast runners and slow walkers finishing at the same time in the same place.  I'm glad that didn't cost you the race as you went wide, you would've been fuming.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cameron, honestly that would be a scary match up for me but it would probably be one heck of a battle. I'm sure we'll run head to head at least a couple of times this year and I'm not sure whether to look forward to those matches or fear getting toasted by him.

Cesar, I just have to continue what I've been doing. Work the base for another month or two, then build the speed on top of that. I'm not sure if I'm going to run a 10K on a fast course in reasonably favorable conditions when I'm in peak shape but, if I did this fall, I think a 33 could be there. As for 32, that might require more than I'm willing at this point to commit to.

Rob, actually the walkers weren't too bad for me at least. With a lead bike and even two late in the race, they managed to give the walkers and slower runners in the 5K a pretty good heads up. Actually, the only time I couldn't see a clear path through at any point was when I made that final turn and a clear path did open up as the lead bikes got ahead to clear a path for me. They did a pretty good job of making sure at least I didn't have too many traffic issues and I didn't see too many other runners weaving through the walkers as they were finishing. I probably would have looked at the walkers as a non-factor if not for the fact that, as anyone who knows me well would know, I like to cut the tangents as tightly as possible within the rules and run the shortest course possible.

cesar
    Participant

what is your next race Ryan ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

At this point, I'm not sure. I have someone trying to recruit me for a mid-May 5K that might be interesting to try given yesterday's results. Otherwise, I may wait for Ed's Run at the end of May and another shot at the 10K.

danaschulz

Great race Ryan!  It's always encouraging having your first race of the season come off with a win.

And Jerry – – – had to stir that pot, didn't you  🙂

tomo

Nice work Ryan!  Great start to the season….

cameron

And Jerry – – – had to stir that pot, didn't you  🙂

i'm just doing what i do best.  🙂

i think the match would go 12 rounds.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Dana and tomo.

Jerry, at this point, it could turn into a 12 round draw with both fighters beaten to a pulp. I already told Dana once this year that I'm not going to be able to talk too much about race strategies with him because I'm going to need to have some aces up my sleeve when we're in the same race.

ed
    Participant

If anyone ever needs to read about how to run a race – they just need to read this.

I hope to see you at my race Ryan – it ends quite soon after going down St. Mary's hill (the big hill).  New route, a couple of kinks to work out with the city yet but the route looks better – not crossing the main road this time.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ed, it was a good strategy given the circumstances because it worked. In other circumstances, I could very well have made myself a sitting duck. Different races with different circumstances call for different strategies.

I'll probably be able to make it. We're still settling in on our plans but, as of now, that weekend looks like it will be open.

I'm going to help Cameron stir the pot a bit here, knowing I probably shouldn't. I see Dana just ran a 5K a week earlier. 1st place in a time that converts to 34:57. If I recall, the conditions that weekend were slightly better but the course is definitely more challenging than the nearly pancake flat course I ran. Let Cameron get his oddsmakers together to chew on that one for a while.

danaschulz

And let's not forget the 10 mile “warm-up” Chris and I did before the race :).  It was one of those races where everything just clicked.  Oh, Cameron!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Note to self: dodge Dana for the next few months while I get in shape to at least be competitive head to head.

ed
    Participant

It will be nice to have the defending Champion at the race. (Stirring the pot)

Double

Ryan,

Solid effort.  I had no idea you were laying in the weeds ready to bust one.  It never grows old being in contention for a win, let alone cross the line first.  Honestly, as you know, it is actually the competition and effort that make the whole thing rewarding.  This is a great distance to race at by-the-way.  I wish there were more 10ks locally.  I always got a better gauge of fitness off a 10k.  You can't fake a 10k. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

Double, thanks. I didn't even know I was lying in the weeds ready for this. Agree 100% on the 10K. I love the 8K but there's something about that extra 7 minutes, give or take, on the road. It really tests you. Like you said, you can't fake it. I think you can gut out an 8K, that extra 2K pushes you over the edge if you're not ready.

GTF

So 15K would be that much better.  8)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Honestly, there's something about the combination of duration an intensity that, for me at least, makes the 10K more challenging than either the 8K or the 15K. For a 15K, I can just let things settle in for a while. For a 10K, I feel like I have to be on the edge pretty much the whole way in order to produce a good result.

sueruns

😮

ryan, now you've got me worried with my 10k coming up.  I ran a decent 5 miler 6 weeks ago and thought maybe my low mpw will be okay for a 10k. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sue, I wouldn't be too worried. As I did this past weekend, I'm sure you will be able to draw upon the fitness gained from your previous training to pull one out. It just may not feel too good, I'm still not fully back after the effort I threw out there.

corina

Fantastic report Ryan,
    felt like I was out there – although, I doubt my legs could do 1K at that pace – let alone 10 of them. 😮 ;D
    Truly inspirational – you are off to one heck of a racing season. To be the person in front must be one heck of a feeling.
    Congrats! 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Corina. I'm sure you could do more than you're giving yourself credit for. Don't forget that big PR you just ran.

Being the person in front is a heck of a feeling, in more ways than one. It's a great feeling knowing that you are in the lead but, at the same time, you don't have anyone in front of you to focus on. The only competition you have to focus on is the competition you can't even see and you don't know where it is, which can be a bit unsettling when you hit the challenging patches that we all hit late in a race.

Of course, while you've had guys in front of you, you know very well what it's like to be the front runner of the women's field so I'm sure you can relate.

cameron

looks like there's a “new” 10K in town…

Lombardi Walk/Run for Cancer
    June 13, 2009
    Milwaukee County Zoo

$40 entry fee is awful steep – – in my opinion.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wasn't there previously a Lombardi Run in Menomonee Falls that became just a walk? I wonder if this is related.

$40 for a 10K is steep. I actually have my eye on a local run the following weekend anyway.

MAKING TRACKS FOR THE ARTS
    Kettle Moraine State Forest-Pike Lake Unit Beach
    5 mile trail run-competitive
    Fees: $20 until 6/1 after $25

danaschulz

I don't think I'd pay $40.00 for a 10K – – – that's pretty steep.  And Pike Lake!  That's going to be a tough, technical, but fun race.  I have no intentions on running the race, but if you ever want to do some trail running let me know

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm going to have to scout out Pike Lake a bit by myself but, once I do that, I might be all over it before that race so I can get to know the course.

My hope is that this race will be a throwback to the kind of racing I've loved in the past. Not the simple test of who can run away from everyone else but a race of tactics. Forget about time, forget about just running as fast as possible and let the chips fall where they may, and pull out the old book of race strategies.

Double

Maybe some of us should try some CC races at the end of the year.  Ryan, we have been talking about that for years.  It would be cool if they had team competition.

Not sure I ever ran a CC race the same way.  More blood and guts.  I remember trying to bust guys on hills, getting blown away on the downhill trying to recover, and then just hammering away between 3-4 guys.

Remember those golf courses where it was like a 400 yard sprint to the finish.  Totally freakin' wiped out.  Guys on the ground, spit all over some faces, and maybe a dry heaver or two around. 

Everyone told their war stories on the way home….regardless of where you finished because we all felt the same pain.  I was totally consumed by the sport.  Thing was, the finish order was seldom the same.  There was no safety net.  Sometimes you drank the wine and other times you stomped the grapes.  You had to take risks in team races…and it wasn't totally uncommon to call a few guys out.  Especially the workout warriors.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Double, that's a great idea. We had some troubles in the past due to scheduling. However, with Al's Run being in October, that may open up the schedule a bit for some of those September meets. I'll have to check on on that and maybe suggest a meet or two. If there's a team event, great. If not, just to get the crew together for a meet or two would be a lot of fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.