Race Report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race Report

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

Thought I’d share a race report on a 5 miler I ran Saturday to kickoff “Spring” (and I use that term VERY lightly). I ran this race 2 years ago prior to Boston, so I thought it be a good way to compare fitness, then and now. I also like this race because it’s 8 days before a popular Twin Cities 8k and it’s nice to have a race under my belt heading into that race.

In addition to racing, I wanted to get a longer run in for the day, so I ran the course for a warmup and cooldown. During the warmup I was happy to see clear pavement because 2 years ago the course was very icy. However, any thoughts of running “fast” were put to rest by the 15-20 mph winds with gusts 30-40 mph. The course is basically a loop in which the first 2.25 miles were either uphill and/or into the wind. Seeing this on the warmup, I decided to go out closer to a tempo effort until the point we got the wind at our backs. After that I’d reel the people in that went out too hard.

Okay, onto the race. Literally, 10 seconds before the gun goes off it starts sleeting, lightly at first, but within 5 minutes the roads are covered and slick. I keep to my race plan and keep the pace moderate. I still got a little worried because I’m in about 15-16th place and 2 years ago I finished 5th. I just tell myself to be patient until we turn with the wind. When we make the turn I’m probably in 13th. From 3.75 to the finish is all downhill or tailwind, so I tell myself I have 10 minutes to work hard and catch as many people as possible. I end up passing 4 more guys before the downhills start and maintain my 9th position the rest of the way.

I took my splits along the way, but didn’t look at them till afterwards. That’s a good thing, because I probably would’ve freaked had I seen my first 2 splits. 6:50, 7:03, 6:29, 6:30, 6:03 = 32:55. As I’ve said before, around here the 30-39 age group sucks. While I was 9th overall, I won my age group. 4 guys 40-49, 1 guy 50-59 and 1 guy 60-69 beat me, along with 2 guys 20-29. Ryan, you can probably guess who the 65 year old was that beat me, Dan Conway ran 32:12. Another notable performance was the 33:16 by 13 year old Andrew Carlson, son of the overall winner, Digger (26:24).

I was hoping to be able to compare things to my 32:03 from 2 years ago, however, weather conditions make it extremely difficult to compare. I think after Sunday’s 8k, I’ll have a much better idea of where I’m at. That’s if the weather cooperates.

randys

Zeke,

Those are tough conditions to race in. The only time I want to run on the mill is when the roads are icy or the winds are heavy. Sounds like you had to race in both.

Its still a good ‘prep’ race for the upcoming 8k. Hopefully conditions will be better.

I find the biggest ‘pressure’ of running a marathon is the ‘all-the-eggs-in-one-basket’ aspect of the race. If your racing 5 and 10k’s there is always another race next weekend. For the marathon thats not true. Many months of hard work can be ruined by poor weather or a sudden upset stomach on the day of the race.

Ryan’s marathon is a perfect example. It would be a nightmare if come race morning I had to face winds of 30+ mph like he did.

Good luck next weekend.

Randy

Woody

Zekester,

Way to go with the elements and run a nice negative split! That 6:03 must felt good! Looking forward to your 8k. You should hop on the 200/ 200 for a 5k about 4 days out from that 8k . Good turnover without the lactate build-up!

Keep it tight Bro!

Woody

Ryan
    Keymaster

Zeke, good start to the year. You’ll be solidly under 30 minutes once the weather improves and your training comes around.

Interesting to see Coach Conway still finishing in the top 10 of races and running sub-6:30 pace in those conditions and at this point in the season. I’ll have to drop him a message. As usual, he will play it down, pointing out how he was over 1:00/mile behind the winner (“but not too bad for an old man” or something along that line).

Zeke

Thanks guys.

I’ll have to drop him a message.

Ryan, make sure you ask him about the tanning sessions he won in the drawing. Actually, they were nice enough to let him trade that in for a bottle of gatorade.

Woody, it’s easy to negative split under those conditions. I’m actually planning some in/out 400s a few days before the race. I’m incorporating some of Rubio’s workouts these last 6 weeks before Boston.

The 8K should be a lot better indicator. 2 years ago, after running 32:03 at this race, I ran 29:20 in the 8K. I don’t think I’m in that kind of shape, but low to sub-30 would be nice.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Zeke wrote:
    Ryan, make sure you ask him about the tanning sessions he won in the drawing. Actually, they were nice enough to let him trade that in for a bottle of gatorade.

That’s too good. I’d ask why they are giving I’d have to assume the 60-69 age group winner tanning sessions but I probably wouldn’t be the first one to ask that. I like gift certificate types of prizes but come on.

Zeke wrote:
    The 8K should be a lot better indicator. 2 years ago, after running 32:03 at this race, I ran 29:20 in the 8K. I don’t think I’m in that kind of shape, but low to sub-30 would be nice.

Sounds like you’re ready for some good running, then. Heck, just remember. You’re not supposed to be in race shape yet. Once you get in race shape, you’ll be running strong.

Zeke

That’s too good. I’d ask why they are giving I’d have to assume the 60-69 age group winner tanning sessions but I probably wouldn’t be the first one to ask that. I like gift certificate types of prizes but come on.

It was a random drawing afterwards. The have < 100 runners, but have about 25 prizes. Given that half the people take off, it makes for good odds. I'm 2 for 2 in drawings at this race.

Sounds like you’re ready for some good running, then. Heck, just remember. You’re not supposed to be in race shape yet. Once you get in race shape, you’ll be running strong.

Yep, I agree.

Jeff

Good job on a tough course. I can only hope to get to where you are.

Keep up good work, I appreciate your input and experience. Thanks for the report.

Jeff

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.