Race Strategy: All Out or Moderation

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Race Strategy: All Out or Moderation

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  randys 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

randys
    Participant

As my race nears (May 1st) I am debating race strategy. Do I run a ‘sure-thing-pb’ or race ‘close-to-the-edge’.

I’ve been running faster than my current PB in comfort on long runs. Over the past few weeks I did 24 in 3:11 and 24 in 3:10; both felt easy.

I finished both at close to tempo pace and could easily have run another 2.2 (and new PB’s). This was in training with little to no water and no taper. In a race I am certain I could go under 3:25 with ease (current PB is 3:29 last year at this race).

Or I could push for a ‘breakthrough’ with a sub 3:15. But if I run close to the edge I could crash; missing the sure-thing in the process.

Its like investing in stocks or bonds (but instead of money my investment is time spent training).

If I buy Bonds (race a sure thing) I am certain of my return (5 min pb) and my investment is safe. If I buy stocks (race all out) I may get a larger return (15 min pb) but I could loose it all (a dnf).

How many race all out versus staying inside their comfort zone? This question only applies to the marathon. I think we all race ‘all-out’ in shorter races but the marathon is unique because you can’t bounce back and run another two or three weeks later.

Randy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.