Record $700,000 prize purse at NYCM

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Record $700,000 prize purse at NYCM

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 11 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

A prize purse, totalling more than US$700,000, including a US$130,000 first place payout for both the men’s and women’s champions has been announced for this year’s ING New York City Marathon.

ING, the global financial services company, has extended its title sponsorship of the race through 2010, providing an additional special bonus of $65,000 which brings the men’s purse to the same level as the women’s.

Injuries have forced two withdrawals from this year’s race –

Mara Yamauchi, owner of Britain’s second-fastest female marathon time and winner of the Fortis Half Marathon in Rotterdam, Netherlands, on 10 September 10, has withdrawn due to hip problems, while 2003 New York champion, Martin Lel of Kenya has a leg injury.

GTF

Nice, NBA/NFL bench-rider money to be divided out amongst the top placers.  8)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Of course, I think all of us recognize that prize money is only a portion of the money that elite runners get. Appearance fees, sponsorships, etc. add up to a lot. That said, it's obvious that runners do not get nearly as much money as those in other sports.

GTF

Yes, I know, but as far as the headline ranks in the greater sports pantheon, it is rather paltry.  Even golf outdoes running on the terms you outline.  Though it is touted as a record payout, I wonder how it would translate in '90s, '80s, and '70s dollar amounts.  Also, is there a breakdown of the purse available?  I found LaSalle Bank Chicago's prize purse breakdown pretty easily: http://chicagomarathon.com/page_L2.aspx?subMenu=&Page_ID=1519&Nav_2_ID=828&Page_Title=Prize%20Purse

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.