Reigning champion Limo withdraws from Chicago Marathon

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Reigning champion Limo withdraws from Chicago Marathon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 12 years ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

CHICAGO (October 11, 2006) – The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon champion Felix
    Limo (KEN) has withdrawn from this year’s race. Citing lower back pain, the winner of the 2006
    Flora London Marathon and current co-leader on the World Marathon Majors leader board,
    informed race organizers today that he will be unable to compete on October 22.
    “While this is a disappointment for us and for Felix that he will be unable to defend his crown,
    we undoubtedly support what was obviously a difficult decision for him,” remarked Executive
    Race Director Carey Pinkowski. “Felix is a great champion and I am confident that he will
    recover and be back stronger than ever. He is always welcome here and we will make every
    effort to bring him back to Chicago in 2007.”
    Limo earned The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon title in 2:07:02 and was considered an
    early favorite in this year’s Race. Earlier this spring he won a second consecutive title and 25
    World Marathon Majors points in London with a 2:06:39 finish.
    “I am very sorry to have to withdraw from this race,” Limo stated from Kenya. “I was hoping to
    run a fast time and win in Chicago and it is a disappointment to me that I must make this
    decision. I am beginning to feel less pain in my back, but do not feel confident I can run a good
    race right now and I am committed to putting together my best performances for myself, for the
    organizers and for the fans of the sport.”
    Among Limo’s challengers who remain in the field are Kenyans Robert K. Cheruiyot, Benjamin
    Maiyo and Daniel Njenga. Cheruiyot is fresh off his 2006 Boston Marathon championship where
    he became the World Marathon Majors joint points leader with Limo, Maiyo was runner-up to
    Limo last fall in Chicago and this spring to Cheruiyot in Boston and Njenga has placed second,
    third, second and third in his four Chicago appearances. All are contenders for the Chicago
    crown.
    The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon will begin at 8 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 22 in Chicago’s Grant
    Park. The field of elite athletes will compete for a portion of the $650,000 prize purse alongside
    40,000 registered runners. For more information on the Race and its athletes, visit
    chicagomarathon.com.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.